I'll be driving past a sad scene tomorrow evening...

Faron79March 6, 2014

Tomorrow evening, I'm heading out to my hometown NW of Fargo to help my Brother celebrate his 50th B-day!!

But...
I'll be driving past a spot where 2 young ND Sisters lost their lives just N of Hillsboro, ND. The weather Wed. was VERY windy & blowing snow across roads, making them kinda glazed for stretches. I've driven I-29 there a THOUSAND times. It's wide-open and level, but slight curves are there. The attached story says they were thrown from the vehicle, so I'm assuming they weren't wearing seatbelts?!

Drive careful out there my GW-Friends!!! Winter's not over yet...

Faron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynninnewmexico

How sad, Faron!

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 10:42PM
Faron79

Not tryin' to be a "Danny Downer" here...maybe I shouldn't have posted this.

Just a sobering thought about driving safely.
A reminder to us all...

Faron

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 10:49PM
cat_mom

Sad.....

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 11:25PM
mom2girls_2008

It's a great reminder, especially for parents with young drivers. I have 2 daughters in their 20's and I worry constantly about them driving in hazardous conditions, well, just driving... period. They must learn to drive in bad conditions but it doesn't hurt to relay experiences and news stories. Thank you for the somber reminder. So sad for those young girls.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 11:51PM
Annie Deighnaugh

So sorry for the sad news.

It's funny how you can be reminded of tragedies every time you go by a stretch of road.

Thirty years ago, there was a cop chasing 6 teens piled into a truck...the truck missed a curve by an intersection and 4 of the teens were killed, 2 injured. There was a lot of criticism around the chase and it changed the police policies around high speed pursuits. And they added a stop sign at that intersection. Every time I stop there, I still remember the tragedy.

There's another road nearby that haunts me every time I go by. Over 35 years ago, a little 8 year old girl left her home at 6 pm to walk up the street to visit a friend. She never came home. She was bludgeoned to death not 300 yds from her home. The case has never been solved.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 7:52AM
dedtired

Such sad stories. There are three spots I drive by where teenagers died in car crashes, at about the time when my sons were teenage drivers. I always think how their parents must miss them so much to this day. There's also a spot where my older son flew around a curve, went off the road and hit a tree, landing him in the ICU for two weeks. I cringe whenever I go by there. That was nearly thirty years ago.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 5:50PM
graywings123

It's amazing how these locations of sad events can affect you, even if you were not part of it at the time. I was driving through Connecticut a couple months ago and drove by exit signs for Sandy Hook and Newtown, and waves of sadness came over me, remembering what had occurred in that area.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 8:57AM
texanjana

So sad, but a timely reminder for us all.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 12:04PM
Faron79

And now I read a headline from about a crash near Sleepy-Eye, MN....110 mi. W-SW of Mpls.

FOUR teens killed. "Less than ideal conditions" our newspaper says. I WISH stuff like this could stop, but...

Faron

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 4:42PM
geokid

Faron, that's in my neck of the woods. Not my town, but close enough that I know some of the volunteer firefighters that responded to the accident. It's been rough.

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 12:17AM
More Discussions
Kitchen window help, please
The kitchen puzzle pieces are falling into place! I...
springroz
Chalk paint?
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about doing a wall in my...
lisa_mocha
Just had my bedroom repainted and am having serious doubts
I just got my bedroom repainted Sherwin Williams Iceberg....
jmdkc
Need help for exterior of home!
My husband and I recently bought a 1960's mid century...
betsmurph198
What is a McMansion? Tell Us In 25 Words or Less
Everybody seems to have his or her own definition of...
kswl2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™