nutmeg grater?

lizbeth-gardenerFebruary 27, 2014

Is there such a thing as a nutmeg grater that does a good job, lets you use all (or most of) the whole nutmeg without grating your fingers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay_Corbel

Our nutmeg that you buy in jars comes with a little grater that works well - it's very fine.But of course that doesn't help you at all;)

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 2:17AM
caliloo

I have no experience with the following, but it looks like it might fit the bill.... I use my microplane and just toss the last of it when there is a risk of grating my fingers too.

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Nutmeg Mill

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 4:06AM
grainlady_ks

My first one was the real-deal grater with the little compartment at the top where you stored the nutmeg. A real knuckle buster. I also had a nutmeg mill similar to the one caliloo linked to, and it made nutmeg shavings, instead of grating the nutmeg, which are NOT suitable for human consumption; and wouldn't grind the entire nutmeg, either. It was a birthday gift, and I was so disappointed in the quality of the grind and I never could get it to stay adjusted properly. But perhaps it was the brand, and I'm not sure what it was. Now I use a microplane and try to avoid "skin". I buy Frontier Certified Organic Nutmeg and the package has 9-10 nutmegs in it.

-Grainlady

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 4:42AM
foodonastump

I'm almost hesitant to recommend the Microplane Grate and Shake because I can sympathize with some of the negative comments in the reviews. When I first got it I hated it, seemed fussy and overcomplicated, but once I got used to it I really liked it.

What I've not experienced is the chipping and breaking of the plastic that some report. I've had mine at least a dozen years and it's been tossed around and dropped plenty, with no issues.

As for using it all, when it gets too flat to grab easily I turn it up on its side. And when that gets too small I turn it up on end. And when THAT gets too small I throw it out. Nutmeg is not very expensive so until this post I've never thought twice about the minimal waste.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grate and Shake

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 5:03AM
kitchendetective

Why are nutmeg shavings not suitable for human consumption?

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 7:10AM
momj47

I use my Microplane, it works well and I don't worry about using the whole nutmeg. With a jar of them in the freezer I'm pretty much set with a lifetime supply of nutmeg.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 8:11AM
Circus Peanut

I got the most fabulous nutmeg grater for Christmas this year; best I've ever had. As a cook of northern european cuisine, I use a lot of nutmeg (I actually run out from time to time) and this is hands-down the best grind and easiest operation I've ever had. It's made in Germany and is by Gefu.

Makes a beautiful fine even grind -- which is the most crucial thing -- and uses the entire nutmeg! Fingers and hands come nowhere near the grinding element; you affix a nutmeg on the interior and close it up again. It's really well thought-out: stores extra nutmegs (well, 2 or 3), has a lid that closes over the bottom so there's no residual grind dumped on your shelf, and the handle folds down for good storage as well.

I sound like an ad, but I'm just a long-time GW member who's thrilled to share my nutmeg-geekery. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon link

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 9:06AM
grainlady_ks

Nutmeg shavings include splinter-like pieces. Not GOOD!

-Grainlady

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 9:16AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I just use my microplane and it works fine for me...

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 9:21AM
sally2_gw

Same here, I use my microplane. That's actually a tool that I use practically every day, whether to grate parm, lemon or other fruit rinds, or nutmeg, It seems I'm always grating something that has to be grated finely.

Sally

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 9:47AM
sushipup1

Another vote for the Microplane. I have the little gizmo that FOAS described so well, but the regular microplane works just as well.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:03AM
cloud_swift

I use the Microplane with storage that FOAS posted - and the same technique turning the nutmeg on its side when it gets flat and then on end. The little box is easy to hold and I've never gotten bitten by that grater (though I have by plenty of others).

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 2:38PM
momj47

Just make sure it's a real Microplane. I have some other fine graters, usually from gift packs from some spice or other, and none of them work well EXCEPT the Microplane.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 4:07PM
artsyshell

We sell something similar to the nutmeg mill, but at a cheaper price. It is amazing, works VERY well and no grinding of fingers. Extra nutmegs can be stored in it as well. I would highly recommend any unit designed the same as the mill. A couple of turns and you have the freshest nutmeg.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 9:02PM
annie1992

circuspeanut, that's one neat gizmo.

Like many others, I just use my microplane. I have one just like FOAS, but it's stuck down in the basement in a box full of other unused kitchen gadgets, waiting to move to the farm. The microplane works pretty well for me and I've never grated my fingers. That's saying something because I'm a klutz and I don't pay attention.

Annie

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:18PM
kitchendetective

I use one like the one Caliloo posted. The gratings are tiny and I certainly haven't experienced any splinters that I know of.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 19:29

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:40AM
lizbeth-gardener

Islay: What a good solution (for you).

It sounds like the answers are the Microplane Grate and Shake, the Microplane or the Gefu. Now to decide..

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 2:31PM
publickman

Here's a video of the Gefu grater, which is what I would get if I used enough nutmeg. I might get one anyway.

Lars

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 6:00PM
annie1992

Thanks, Lars, for that video. It's a nifty gadget, all right, but how much does anyone really use nutmeg?

I put it in apple pie, sprinkle on top of sugar cookies sometimes, I used it in the custard I just made. Swedish meatballs and.......I just can't think of anything else.

Annie

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 7:01PM
publickman

I use very little nutmeg - I don't really care for it in savory dishes (except for some Lebanese dishes, or in small quantities in meat dishes) and I despite it in spinach. I do use it in apple pie, and I love it in eggnog, which I drink only from Thanksgiving through New Year's. Since I like it in eggnog, I would like it in custard also. I really do not need to be drinking more eggnog,however.

I think it would be nice to have fresh nutmeg in eggnog, and I would use it in cookies and maybe oatmeal with apples.

Lars

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 7:11PM
kitchendetective

It adds a nice note to fettuccini Alfredo.

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
Pet Peeve
Over at the Kitchen Table, there is a Pet Peeve thread....
donna_loomis
Cookout for 150 people
I am having a cookout for my son's graduation, and...
Teffanie Hughett West
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™