Walkvest Anyone??

trudymomSeptember 15, 2007

They showed these on Rachel Ray last week. Any thoughts on if they help? Anyone have this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Walkvest

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluesibe

I think your question is interesting and the first thing I'd ask is what do you do now?

I'd suggest start walking, change up your pace, walk briskly for five minutes and slow down, etc. Prevention magazine had a walking program in I think the August issue. Walking is really an excellent exercise, and except for the price of good shoes, costs nothing. If you like a walking program, you can add in hand weights.

No method is a quick fix. And often, one can create an exercise program that works and is inexpensive.

Carol

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 10:00AM
trudymom

bluesibe, right now I walk about 2 miles a day at a medium pace. I like your suggestion for walking briskly for five minutes, then slowing down. I am going to pass up the walkvest. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 7:19PM
kimba00

My husband has a similar weighted vest and he loves it. It' gets his heart rate up to where it would be if he were running only without stress on his joints. The important thing is to start with lighter weight and build up slowly. I run 3x a week and the days I don't run, I walk with dumb-bells. I started with 2lbs on each arm and built up very slowly (for 4 years) and now I walk with 9lb dumb-bells in each hand. It gives me a great upper body workout while getting my cardio.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 9:45AM
trudymom

kimba00, great ideas--thank you. You must get quite a workout now with the 9lbs in each hand. Congratulations!! Do you hands get tired of carrying them?

Thank you!

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 9:59AM
kimba00

Yes, it's a great strength building work out and no, my hands do not get tired because I started slowly and built up. I walk 2.5 miles with the dumb bells. Your hands and forearms will get stronger as you add weight. Each time I added a pound of weight, my arms would get tired the first week, and once you build up, you don't even notice the weights!

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 11:14AM
trudymom

kimba00, one last question, please--what is the reason that you use dumbells instead of the weights that you velcro onto your wrists?

Thank you!

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 12:05PM
kimba00

I use the dumb-bells because the velcro weights only go up to like 5lbs max and I find them uncomfortable. They are usually made for ankles and are too big for my wrists. The dumb-bells I use are the coated type (not raw metal) and fit nicely in my hands. I have used the velcro weights on my ankles in the past and they will give you awesome calves. My legs, as a runner, don't need the added resistance, just my upper body. Women tend to underwork their upper bodies.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 8:55PM
trudymom

kimba00, thank you. I learned alot from you!!

Trudy

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 3:41AM
More Discussions
Which brand of canned pineapple has least tin-can-taste?
To me there's a very strong tin can odor in canned...
jally
How much iron supplement?
I see a slow release iron 45mg -- one a day -- take...
chisue
Do you own a masticating juicer?
Just bought an Omega and I was wondering if you peel...
msrose
Abtronic.... and the verdict on this is?
I just saw this on TV. Any feedback on this? Saw the...
TinaNY
In need of a great workout!!
We are in need of the machine that would give you the...
tonib40
Sponsored Products
Tangerine 22-inch Knife-edged Indoor/ Outdoor Pillows with Sunbrella Fabric (Set
Overstock.com
Runner Rug: Candice Olson Dove Gray 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Modern Classics Ivory and Espresso Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$876.60 | Bellacor
42" x 42" Stone shower Pan (base) Pure Black Granite - PHOENIX SHADOW
Living'ROC
Belle Foret Mono Block Bar Faucet ORB
PLFixtures
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs Candice Olson Jet Black 2 ft. 6in. x 8
Home Depot
Whitehaus WINEHAUS Stainless Steel Single Bowl Undermount Bar Sink