BBQ Reception help!

franlSeptember 7, 2007

My daughter is having her wedding on the 15th of Sept. (next Saturday! yeah!) The ceremony will be in a lovely park within the local fairgrounds with reception following and is very casual. Her and the groom wanted a BBQ so BBQ it will be! Very very casual!

I'm trying to figure out how many hotdogs and burgers for everyone.. there will be 41 adults and 27 children (out of the 27 children about 3 or 4 are just toddlers.) There will also be lots of other food such as salads,chips,baked beans and of course desserts including cake.

Do I buy burger for all 68? Hotdogs for all 68?

I guess whatever isn't used can always be put in a freezer.

any suggestions?

FranL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gellchom

You said you can freeze the leftover, which says to me that you (a) have the freezer space and (b) eat hot dogs and hamburger anyway. In that case, even though you have lots of other foods, I would buy plenty of both for everyone, so you definitely won't run out. It's a no-lose situation, just a little more cash on the front end, as you will eat the leftover later anyway. Have coolers and ice for the raw hamburger and mayo salads especially.

Consider bringing some bee traps if that is a problem in your area this time of year.

Congratulations! I hope you have great weather and a lovely day.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 11:32AM
franl

Thank you so much!
Actually... there is little freezer space. Her refridgerator is small with just a small freezer space but hopefully she can find someone with extra storage area.
Its been a difficult wedding to plan with me living up in BC Canada and her in Oregon and... we were given a months notice....... UGH!
I'm sure things will go off without too much of a hitch...and the day will be special.
thanks!
Fran

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 12:41PM
gellchom

Also consider donating leftovers -- certainly salads, etc., that won't freeze -- to a local shelter. That's what we always do.

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 12:57PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

You could do real barbeque; smoke some pork butts for about 6 hours at 250 then shred, chop and freeze. Mix with barbeque sauce when ready to reheat in the oven. This is really good and pork butt is really cheap!

Bookmark   September 7, 2007 at 5:20PM
chase_gw

I've found for BBQ's you really need to look at age and gender and work it out that way.

Teenage boys need 2 burgers and 2 dogs, minimum
Teenage girls are tricky, some will eat 1 burger or 1-2 dogs or 1 of each, some will eat none.... you should have a veggie choice these days.
Women will normally eat one of either..usually a burger
Men will want two burgers or 1 burger and a dog.

Add it all up and then buy more of each..not a lot more.

These are just guidelines based on the people I feed.

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
High School Graduation Party
We are planning my DD's HS graduation party and I was...
crystal01
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
Preparing Roasted Chicken Beforehand
Hi! I have been reading posts from here for a while,...
Bev.Linda
Planning ahead: graduation
My oldest is graduating college in May (yeah!). His...
jewelisfabulous
4 letter words
We will be playing with only 4 letter words.One should...
kushy28
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™