Opinions on other womens fitness centers please

vera123September 5, 2003

I would love to open a Curves but unfortunately my area is sold. I've been looking into other women's fitness centers like Slender Lady & It Figures. None are located in my area & I'm wondering if anyone has been to any of these. I'm trying to figure out if a competitor in a high traffic area where there is currently not a Curves, be able to offer what everyone likes about Curves. Seems to me that these centers offer a lot, have similar equipment & I guess it's all about what an owner expects of her staff & offers to the members.

Any opinions are appreciated!

Thanks

Vera

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

The KEY to the success of the "curves" method is that it's a scheduled time, a short time, with a group activity. You have peer pressure working on you, and the social aspect of it is good.

That would be hard to duplicate with other franchises.

Their equipment isnothing special, it's the way they have made workouts a social activity.

Bookmark   September 12, 2003 at 1:48PM
vera123

I appreciate your response & that is exactly what I'm reading from other forums. The women want the social interaction, the structure, it's quick, & keep it interesting with incentives, & contests to win t-shirts, points for credit to membership, etc. I've seen other similar equipment that seems much better.
Still researching.....
Thanks!
Vera

Bookmark   September 13, 2003 at 10:22AM
jenn

I agree that the guaranteed, short workouts in a group activity at Curves is much of what makes it work. In my case, the upbeat cheerful atmosphere is a bonus. I don't know if the machines are anything special, but I can tell you I feel much stronger than I did 3 months ago -- MUCH stronger. So they are doing something!

I don't have time to spend more than that at a gym each night, as I have a very early bedtime therefore I need to eat dinner early as well. The guaranteed 30 minutes of exercise is great for me and I have never missed a week of going at least 3 days. I can't say that about any other gym I've ever gone to.

Jen

Bookmark   September 13, 2003 at 5:17PM
vera123

Good for you Jen! That's exactly what keeps them coming back. It's quick, you meet people, & you feel good!

Thanks & good luck!
Vera

Bookmark   September 14, 2003 at 9:00AM
jenn

Thanks Vera, and you're welcome. Good luck in your venture.

Jen

Bookmark   September 19, 2003 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Lifestyle Changes
Hey everyone. My husband and I are in the middle of...
bigbaby
patellofemoral syndrome, knee pain questions
Does anyone here have patellofemoral syndrome, which...
bug_girl
A Physical Therapist Told Me
MY DH goes to a physical therapy gym several times...
jannie
Is riding a Bike really good excercise?
I know that riding a bike is good for your legs but...
netshound
How to exercise with broken foot?
I came back from a wonderful trip. I had been in pretty...
linnea56
Sponsored Products
White Vertical Double Flat Panel Aluminum Radiator 59 x 12.5 & Valves
Hudson Reed
Prismo 3045/3046 Indoor/Outdoor Wall Sconce by Besa Lighting
$121.50 | Lumens
Fontenay Commode/Chest in Silver and Pink
FRONTGATE
Bocci | 28.28 Square Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Eggshell Box Pleat Chandelier Silk Shade 3x5x5 (Clip-On)
$49.91 | Lamps Plus
Red Revolution Ceramic 3'' Paring Knife
$15.99 | zulily
Arlee Home Fashions Sonata Embossed Micro Suede Blackout Back Tab Panel Pair - 2
$52.99 | Hayneedle
Sumak Brown and Beige Rectangular: 6 ft. x 9 ft. Rug
Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™