Coasters

kteeAugust 22, 2006

Any suggestions for good coasters to use on a dining room table? Don't want any that mar the table.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I have glass ones with a silver rim...I have seen those absorbant stone ones, and some heavy plastic ones..
I just set the glass on the place mat most of the time.....
Linda C

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 12:26AM
ktee

I got some black rubberize ones for my FR end tables and found they left a residue of some sort on the table. You can see the outline of the coaster's shape. I surely don't want that on my new dining room table. I would, however, like to skip the table cloth route and use place mats and coasters. I assume the heat from the plate wouldn't pose a problem for the table if there is a place mat.

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 10:56AM
sudiepav

I have really nice placemats and coasters, but I seldom use them, as cold glasses stick to the coasters, and as you lift your glass to drink, the coaster sticks, then clatters to the table. My placemats and coasters are that heavy coated board-type. They're great for shielding the tabletop from hot plates. I'd use them more if this didn't happen. I have lots of coasters, but most are sets of 4, so I don't use them in the dining room. I've read a trick for making this not happen, but I can't remember what it is!

Bookmark   August 23, 2006 at 2:29PM
craftfetish

A little salt will keep a napkin or coaster from sticking - but due to the mess, I would only recommend this for restaurant dining.

Textured or ridged coasters shouldn't stick to the glass.

I've never used coasters on my dining room table. One option would be larger placemats that the glass would fit on.

Alternatively, something with a cork back shouldn't hurt your table. (and smooth edges in the event of the fall sudiepav mentioned)

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 4:41PM
movingwest

for home everyone knows to use the placemat. when i have a dinner party and can't rule over everyone (grin) I use a table pad and table cloth and then I dont have to obsess.

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?
I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this...
caboomer
Two sides to every RSVP
Deleted This post was edited by Jewel654 on Sun, Dec...
jewelisfabulous
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
What would you do?
The setting: Ladies gathered for coffee and chatting......
kitykat
Preparing Roasted Chicken Beforehand
Hi! I have been reading posts from here for a while,...
Bev.Linda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™