WANTED: How to cut an oval tablecloth.

olson33June 16, 2005

I want to make an oval table cloth. I am not sure how to cut off those ends.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Red_Confetti

The site below isn't exactly what you are looking for, but I think it will help. When you get the cloth all measured for length, width, and drop as for a rectangular table, you'll need to shape the ends.

At this point, you'll probably want to make a paper template of the shape of the ends of your table. (Your table might not be a perfect half-circle at the ends as the round tablecloth example assumes.) Then use the template to shape the ends of your material.

To make a template, get some really large paper - LOL! - you could tape pieces of newspaper together, or use old gift wrapping paper taped together. Then place the paper on top of your table, overhanging both edges and one end a by at least the amount of your chosen drop. You'll then be able to feel the edge and draw a pencil line there. The next step is to draw your CUTTING line.

Here's an example: say your chosen drop (including seam allowance) is 12 inches. Then you need to measure out from your template end line by 12 inches all along the oval end line shape, and draw a NEW line. The NEW line will be your cutting line.

If all has gone well, your cutting line should come out to meet the width lines (width + drops + seam allowances).

Try drawing a little sketch of your table top on paper, then sketch around it the lines of the tablecloth with the width, drops, and seam allowances. I think the oval end template will all make sense then.

Ask again here or at the Sewing Forum if you need more info. The Sewing Forum has a lot more traffic than this one and the ladies there are all experienced at sewing!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Making Tablecloths of Any Size

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 3:36PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Critter coverlette patterns
Looking for any of the Down on the Farm Creations Critter...
girlsingardens
WANTED: Montgomery Ward Signature Sewing Machine Manual
Looking for manual to model UHT J277A. It means a lot!...
rlw1979
WANTED: Crochet Pattern wanted
Looking for the Amish Star Quilt Crochet Pattern. If...
LdyofOz
WANTED: Jewelry and fiber old subscription magazines
Hi looking for free used Subscription magazines on...
rozutah
HAVE: bed doll patterns
I have some bed doll patterns and plenty of other patterns...
debbie37
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™