60th birthday party decorations

jbuntingAugust 16, 2002

My sisters and I are throwing my mother a 60th birthday party. It is going to be 35-40 people, catered with heavy horderves (sp?), and will be at my parents' country club. We are trying to keep things very classy and elegant, but at the same time not "formal." But we are having trouble knowing where to get started with decorations. We don't really want a "theme" but would like to do something more than just run-of-the-mill flowers in a vase. We will be doing centerpieces on about 6 - 8 tables. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Fill the room with candles. Beg and borrow every tall candle stick you can and put 3 or more on each table, have them lighted when guests arrive.
And, the way the buffet is laid out will add a lot to the ambiance. I would recommend lots of mirrors, puddled cloths, different levels made with boxes, very tall candles and a couple of arrangements made in those yard long vases.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 16, 2002 at 4:27PM
jbunting

One of my sisters wants to use dark purple flowers - any thoughts on what type of flowers to use or interesting ways to arrange them?

Bookmark   August 18, 2002 at 8:07PM
SAG1

Balloons shaped like prunes.

Bookmark   August 26, 2002 at 7:48PM
mansurfamily

You can get nice, full 10" potted mums in dark purple. Place plastic pots inside baskets that have been sprayed with gold paint. Tie a few helium-filled gold balloons to the basket to float overhead (about 36" over the top so they won't hinder eye contact across the table).

Get extra flowers for the buffet table and the front door.

Bookmark   August 27, 2002 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Awkward Baby Shower - Did I Handle It Correctly?
We've all experienced strange party situations, but...
Karen10125
Holiday scheduling.
Am I justified? I invited my entire family including...
rjexit5
High School Graduation Party
We are planning my DD's HS graduation party and I was...
crystal01
friend argues with girlfriend
I am not sure where this question should go, but I...
FreeClayInMyGarden
Two sides to every RSVP
Deleted This post was edited by Jewel654 on Sun, Dec...
jewelisfabulous
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™