Woul;d walking or bike riding be better for You???

bulldinkieAugust 27, 2003

Does anybody know. I can go further on excersise bike than walking because of my knees.I fell down my stairs a couple years ago and damaged both knees.The only place I can walk here is one lane road with woods on both sides hubby doesnt like me walking there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Try walking in place, inside on a padded carpet.

Then try bicycling and see how your knees feel.

Bookmark   August 27, 2003 at 1:21PM
trekaren

My gym has a regular exercise bike with a standard seat, and one that is recumbant. I find the recumbant bike much more comfortable and I can endure much longer on it.

Once you've lost a few pounds, you can try walking on a treadmill with no incline set, and good quality shoes.

Then alternate each day. They both have good benefits. It sounds like due to the isolation of your trail that walking may not be available to you. (and I sympathize - my DH refuses to walk with me and I don't like to go alone). If you look into bikes, try them out in the store before you buy.

Bookmark   August 27, 2003 at 1:56PM
bulldinkie

I walked for years at a local lake. till I fell . so I have treadmill. I also have that great bike I love it.No theres no where to walk. Roads are narrow dangerous.Like I said the other one is isolated. No hubby doesnt need any excersise he cant it his butt what he has of one down.Hes a workaholic.

Bookmark   August 27, 2003 at 11:07PM
hayjud_mn

Bulldinkie,
Ive heard that the bike is good for working off calories, but that walking is good for keeping your bones strong.
Hayjud

Bookmark   August 29, 2003 at 12:41AM
bulldinkie

well I was to the dr yesterday as usual they weigh you I lost a few pounds and went down 1 pants size in 3 weeks so its helping that way.I do feel good.Little more energy.

Bookmark   August 29, 2003 at 8:27AM
hayjud_mn

bulldinkie,
That is wonderful! Keep it up!
Hayjud

Bookmark   August 31, 2003 at 10:43PM
joann23456

I was ill for years, lost a lot of weight and a lot of muscle mass. At one point, my knees were so weak that I had to crawl up the stairs.

I found some gentle knee exercises that I did to strengthen my knees (actually, my thigh muscles) before I ever started working out. This website is about what I did.

Now that my knees are stronger, I do both the treadmill and the recumbant bike, plus the Nautilus circuit. All of them seem to be working, because I can now easily go up and down stairs.

Thanks, and good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gentle knee exercises

Bookmark   December 6, 2003 at 8:36AM
chinacat_sunflower

I've got one bad knee, and two bad ankles...and biking is the only aerobic exercise I get- swimming's always a lazy thing for me, but biking really gives me the need for speed-

the exercises that joanne's website shows are great, I'm one of the many who swear by the chondriton/glucosamine and Magnesium/calcium supplements...

I may never play rubgy again- but I can not only sit cross-legged again, I can STAND UP from that position without using me hands...

and that's something, indeed,

Bookmark   January 8, 2004 at 12:11PM
bulldinkie

Yes the bike I have you kind of lay back,You are so comfortable on there compared to a regular bike.I walked many many miles every day tilkl I fell down stairs damaged knees.Walking is great.

Bookmark   January 27, 2004 at 9:27AM
joann23456

I'm with chinacat, too - I swear by glucosamine/chondroitin. There are actually some small peer-reviewed studies out there that show a benefit to it.

Bookmark   January 27, 2004 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Food expiration date
Is the 2 yr limit valid on canned food? Our garage...
joe_mn
green tea for weight loss
Has anyone tried drinking green tea to lose weight?...
cheesecurlgurl
Elliptical owners-AFG4.1ae
I have just purchased one of these machines and am...
BatocheBob
In need of a great workout!!
We are in need of the machine that would give you the...
tonib40
I want to start doing Yoga, is this something would I be able to
Hello Friends, I would like to start doing yoga, but...
Orneved
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™