Having a Martini party

AnnahEAugust 28, 2004

It is my hybby's birthday next weekend and I am having a martini party for him. There will be about 12 people coming and since most of them don't drink martinis, we are making up cards with recipes on them for "fun" martinis. We will do choc. raspberry ones, tropical sunset, etc.

I need ideas for decorations and snacks. Also, would it be "cheap" to have the plastic glasses or do I have to spring for the glass ones? I just don't know where I would store 12 glass martini glasses.

Any help would be most appreciated! TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MatildaS

ThereÂs noting like a plastic glass to ruin a martini experience. We chill our martini glasses in the freezer  you donÂt want to cool your martini (or martini-like drink) down quickly, and plastic will do that (plus the aesthetic aspect of it). Some bartenders fill the martini glass with ice while they are making it, then dump the ice our before pouring (to chill the glass).

There are so many interesting things you can put in a martini, such as garnishes made by Sable & Rosenfeld http://www.sableandrosenfeld.com/product/cocktail_garnishes.html. Lots of gourmet or specialty shops sell these types of cocktail garnishes. Also, olives are stuffed with so many interesting things  like garlic, sundried figs, chipotle peppers, etc. for those who like martinis.

It would be fun to pick up a book on martinis, such as Shaken Not Stirred : A Celebration of the Martini http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0062734881/qid=1093789691/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-2238404-7840714 both as a coffee table book / conversation piece, but also for ideas. You could put little post-it-note flag on the ones that you have the ingredients for if you decide to make some of them.

If you donÂt want to get stuck with a ton of sweet liquors after the party, you could get a bunch of airplane bottles from the liquor store (for instance, Godiva chocolate liquor) so you have variety without a huge expense.

Good luck  sounds like fun!

Bookmark   August 29, 2004 at 10:39AM
AnnahE

Your suggestions are good ones. I never thought about freezing the glasses first...I guess we will be buying glass. I agree, it would be much nicer. I be checking out the books that you suggested. They sound like good ones.
Thanks so much!

Bookmark   August 29, 2004 at 11:00AM
MatildaS

AnnahE, check out these cute martini glasses at Target (link below) Â 8 for $19.99. These might be fun for a party and they are very inexpensive. I found them by going to Pricegrabber.com and typing in "martini glasses".

Gee, now I want to have a martini party too! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Martini glasses

Bookmark   August 29, 2004 at 11:20AM
AnnahE

These are wonderful! We have a Target in our town and I am going there this afternoon to see if they carry them in the store. Oh, I am really getting excited now! LOL

Bookmark   August 29, 2004 at 2:30PM
MatildaS

Cool! If you canÂt find those, IÂm sure youÂll find something else that is fun! :-)

Bookmark   August 29, 2004 at 9:38PM
HappuCooker

If you live in a largish city, you can rent glasses too.

Bookmark   September 9, 2004 at 8:18PM
More Discussions
Questions about Murder/Mystery Games
Please tell me more about Murder/Mystery Games (apparently...
bizzybee
Young teens and birthday parties
Anyone on here a parent of a young teen (13-14 years...
jewelisfabulous
Slow cooker or Crock pot
What's the difference? And which do you think is better?...
yborgal
Adult party games wanted
Anyone know of games to play at adult only parties?...
good36
Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?
I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this...
caboomer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™