Any good step aerobics DVDs?

awm03July 4, 2006

I just bought a step bench. Can anybody recommend a good step aerobics video? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
byrdseay

I bought mine from Walmart along with the stepper and adjustments ..Cathe Freidrich Basic Step. It paid $25 for the stepper and video. I like it for a beginner step video. She has others online. Also, if you have Direct TV, there are some good step shows on Fit TV.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 7:38PM
awm03

Thanks, byrdseay. Wish I had Fit TV, but at least we have a Wal-mart! Will check it out.

So far I've been making up steps on my own. I like step exercise very much. More of a workout than I thought it would be.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 3:38PM
awm03

Bought the Cathe Friedrich Basic Step video. To be honest, for a total beginner (& an admitted klutz), I like the Gin Miller Everybody Steps video better. The moves are simpler & she gives plenty of cueing time. Also, the pace is faster so my heart rate is higher than with the Cathe Friedrich video. I like the Cathe Friedrich video, but I had to keep the remote in hand to pause & replay a lot until I got the routine down. She frequently cues while going into a step, so by the time it registers in my brain, I've lost out while she's moving on to the next move.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 8:58AM
hedygs

Have you guys checked out Collage Video? They have hundreds of workouts and they also have short clips of the workouts. Their prices are a little high actually but they have amazing customer service. I would certainly use them as a resource for workouts.

I think Gin Miller is an excellent choice. She also has an older interval step workout called Intense Moves which is fabulous.

Cathe is a wonderful instructor but even her basic step has a learning curve.

HTH

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 5:39PM
awm03

Collage Video looks great! Thanks.

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 12:56AM
msmagoo

I really like the Firm, working out with weights reshapes your body. I've also ordered from Collage Video, and I think you can return them if you don't like the workouts.

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 5:43PM
hedygs

I believe Collage is limiting the return of workouts. You have to read the return policy for sure.

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 7:38PM
awm03

hedygs & msmagoo, do you do step aerobics regularly? I'm primarily a cyclist looking for an indoor exercise for the days I can't bike. I'm impressed with the workout step provides, & I swear it's helped my hill climbing. But I get the impression not many do step aerobics anymore -- that it was an 80s phenomenon. I don't know anybody who does step. What do you think?

Bookmark   October 22, 2006 at 11:19PM
hedygs

awm03 I think step is still popular. There are a ton of instructors still teaching it. I also love, love, love kickboxing in addition to step.

What type of step do you like? Complex choreography, athletic type?

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 8:27AM
awm03

Hi hedygs,
I like both kinds of step. Choreography for the brain challenge (it's hard for me), & the athletic type for the workout.

How about you? Do you have a favorite video?

Bookmark   October 24, 2006 at 6:09PM
hedygs

I'm complex choreography challenged so I'm more fond of athletic step. If I end up standing and watching a workout rather then doing it...out it goes!

A fav? Hmmmm...not sure. I do like Cathe a lot, Mindy Mylrea for really athletic w/o's and Gin Miller Intense Moves. If you like complex choreo a few names come to mind (and I can't do them). Patrick Goudeau, Seasun Zieger and Rob Glick (tons more).

I would have to think about a fav though.

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 1:54PM
angep

Gilad's step aerobics is good. It's definitly athletic, not dancy at all.

Christi Taylor is really good for dancy step.

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 11:09AM
awm03

Still steppin'. Glad I invested in it. I've moved up to Gin Miller's Simply Step (60 min.) & Cathe Friedrich's Low-Max (68 min.). After 3 months, I still can't do the Cathe video without messing up, but that gives me a goal to work on over winter.

Thanks to all who chimed in with other names. I look forward to adding them to my growing library of step DVDs.

Bookmark   January 16, 2007 at 6:58PM
awm03

OK, another step question. I bought a larger step bench. It's longer & is 8 inches tall. I found that I had to go back to my beginner step DVDs because I couldn't handle the intensity of the taller, longer step. I've cut back from 50-60 min. of intermediate/advanced stepping on a 6 inch bench to 20 to 30 minutes of beginner stepping with the larger bench. Is this normal? Did anybody else find bumping up 2 inches to be a LOT more work? Thanks in advance!

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 12:39PM
timbershort

Debra Mazda's workout's are good. and she has one for the stepper. she is very new. Look her up on youtube also to view her DVD clips.
Good luck.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Herbalife Nutrition
Is Herbalife Nutrition more beneficial than prescription...
lisamerryy
Food expiration date
Is the 2 yr limit valid on canned food? Our garage...
joe_mn
Any exercise equipment good for home ?
Hey Everyone, I am new to this forum and wanted some...
ashleymore
Do you own a masticating juicer?
Just bought an Omega and I was wondering if you peel...
msrose
In need of a great workout!!
We are in need of the machine that would give you the...
tonib40
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™