book recommendation?

whisperyJuly 30, 2003

hi y'all-

i want to do some strengthening. but i am a fitness reject. i have no idea what exercises to do. so i'm wondering if anyone can reccomend a book that would be a good reference. i would like it to list many exercises and name the muscles they work on. i particularly want to strengthen my back, but i want a book that covers more than just my back.

help?

thanks,

kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg7777

It's been a long time since I've looked at an exercise book....use tapes now. I remember I used to have a book by Joyce Vedral that was very good. Hope it helps!

Bookmark   August 11, 2003 at 12:19PM
joann23456

Abdominal exercises are crucial for strengthening the back, so look into that as well.

Good luck!

Bookmark   December 6, 2003 at 8:38AM
lazy_gardens

Kim -
Start by walking. Lots of walking.

The best way to protect your back is to have strong abdominal muscles. Look for books on "back fitness" and they should have plenty of exercise.

Bookmark   December 8, 2003 at 9:40PM
Aesop

Hi Kim,

I know you asked about a book recommendation, but I'd also like to recommend the website noted below.

Don't be fooled by the first page -- lots of great information, including using weights, which really helps the back muscles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krista Smash!

Bookmark   December 10, 2003 at 10:39PM
chinacat_sunflower

I've been everything from a rugby player and weight-lifter to an all-day hiker to a total slug...and had gone totally slack when I was in a car accident, and tore two discs...

two years later, I have to say that the BEST help I got were from the book and videos by a cat named Rodney Yee... he makes yoga make sense, and 'yoga for strength' would win the approval of Charles Atlas for its isometric work...

I work with a yoga ball, a staff, some straps, and a few light weights- the heaviest thing I have is 10 pounds, and that plus my body weight is PLENTY...

and not only is my doctor thrilled with my recovery- but I can now do things I couldn't do as a teen- like proper pushups.

Bookmark   January 8, 2004 at 12:06PM
weedwoman

"Strong Women Stay Young" by Miriam Nelson. Also "Strong Women Stay Slim" and "Strong Women Strong Bones". All have pretty much the same exercises. I haven't lost any weight (haven' really tried) but boy do I feel better when I'm doing these.

WW

Here is a link that might be useful: Strong Women Stay Young

Bookmark   January 10, 2004 at 4:36PM
Lynn45

I agree, WeedWoman. I bought the first book last year and gradually bought the weights I needed to start with. I'd intended to get fit for my class reunion last summer. However, all I did then was get ready to exercise! LOL This year I have actually started using those weights. What I like about her program is it is for fitness at any age, not for bulking up. Her program was tested on older folks first, and is not so strenuous it's likely to hurt you. It starts out small and works up.
Hope this helps - Lynn

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
How much iron supplement?
I see a slow release iron 45mg -- one a day -- take...
chisue
Help!
I have cancer and osteoporosis and have damage to lymph...
Dweezil
Do you own a masticating juicer?
Just bought an Omega and I was wondering if you peel...
msrose
Which brand of canned pineapple has least tin-can-taste?
To me there's a very strong tin can odor in canned...
jally
Anyone using Fitbit pedometers?
Just bought the Fitbit One clip-on pedometer. I have...
snowglobe
Sponsored Products
K'NEX Family Guy Peter / Station Wagon and Stewie / Lois Building Set Bundle Mul
$33.95 | Hayneedle
Edward Picasso Red Armchair
bryght.com
Rondelle French Gold Two-Light Amethyst Vintage Crystal Bathroom Light, 21W x 9.
$636.00 | Bellacor
Cobblestone Runner 2'6" x 8' - PURPLE
$269.00 | Horchow
Venetian Pendant Lantern
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Altra Compact Cherry Finish Computer Desk with Shelf
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™