alternative to wine for wine and cheese party.

candaysJuly 29, 2002

I have an idea of what I want to serve at my housewarming party in August, but a few people will be attending that do not drink alcohol for religious reasons. Is there an alternative to wine that I can serve them that will go with cheese?

Thank you,

Candice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodny

I do not drink any wine, for religious reasons, and I enjoy Martinelli's Sparkling Ciders. Which I enjoy, in place of alcohol, for occasions where I would normally drink wine, like cheese and crackers. They have apple, apple-cranberry, apple-raspberry, apple-grape. I prefer Martinelli's's to other brands because it does not taste like alcohol, and some do, even though they do not contain alcohol. You should be able to find it at your local grocery store. Costco also carries it. Bellow is also a link to their website. You can order it online and they also have a "store locator" to find a store close to you that does carry it. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   July 29, 2002 at 10:16PM
MsMagnolia

Why not have a punch made with half sparkling white grape juice and half Sprite? It can be served in a wine glass, and poured from a glass pitcher rather than ladled from a punchbowl. (Have the punch well-chilled.)

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 9:12AM
jasper_austin

I would prefer a chilled sparkling water myself.

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 12:30PM
MaryF

I'd go with sparkling grape juice and/or water. Keep it simpler on yourself while offering an alternative.

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 4:47PM
anita9

I'd get martinelli's as well as unsweetened sparkling water (can still be flavored). Some people also like bottled tonic water. Some might just want soda.

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 6:00PM
jane_NYS

I find those artifical wines too sweet. I would prefer sparkling water.

Bookmark   August 10, 2002 at 12:31AM
gardnpondr

MsMagnolia, I had some ladies over Sat. for a get together and I served your punch made with half sparkling white grape juice and half Sprite. It went over VERY well! The ladies LOVED it and wanted to know what it was. Only thing when I went to Walmart for the white grape juice they didn't have it. They only had the red so I went ahead and got it. It was kind of strong so I just kept adding the sprite PLUS some ginger ale that I already had until I liked the taste. I served it in our wine glasses and it was a total hit! I chilled it really well like you said to do also. Thanx for that idea!!! It made my dinner sooo much more special!!

Bookmark   August 13, 2002 at 12:13AM
afteraithe

this might sound weird, but you could use beer instead. A lot of people actually like this.
Here's a forum discussion all about it -
http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/2161348

Here is a link that might be useful: Also, if you need gourmet cheese, here's a place.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 5:10PM
More Discussions
Slow cooker or Crock pot
What's the difference? And which do you think is better?...
yborgal
Guests always bring along a dog
How would you handle this? My wifes long time friend...
Don_
Tipping a Personal Chef
I've been given a gift of having a personal chef come...
msbrandywinevalley
Holiday dinner with divorced inlaws.
Once again it is a holiday dinner coming up and I always...
grandmamary_ga
Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?
I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this...
caboomer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™