WANTED: what colors to use

snowballJanuary 10, 2004

I like to make this afaghan called Najaho afghan it uses four colors of yarn. The basic pattern used red white grey and black I made that one color I think just once I've used all sorts of colors but I'm kinda stumped (I like to give them as wedding gifts to my neices and nephews) I have one getting married soon he likes blues she likes green what colors would you use????????? I once read that the indians when choosing colors for their blankets would look at nature and that usually works except for this one... I saw some tlc yarn that was a dark blue a dark sage claret (what a pretty color of red) and a light blue but I wasn't sure that it worked Any ideas?

Sheila

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Wendy_the_Pooh

I found this at the link below:

"Color, like the actual scenes and pictures, also came to play a symbolic and powerful role in communicating Navaho tradition. The colors often portrayed inexplicable emotion that only the Navaho could comprehend. Green stood for youth, and represented nature and the power and energy that nature brought. It was the hue of promise, hope, growth, and life to come in the crops of the future. Yellow, orange, and blue represented maturity and more specifically, harvest time. This was a positive time for the Navaho, bringing them peace, happiness, and power. Commonly, the colors of brown and gray became popular in the weaving following a failure in the harvest, for these colors represented death and decay. White, in contrast, was viewed as a symbol of innocence and purity, often representing the first hours of a newborn plant or animal. Lastly, the most powerful color in the eyes of the Navaho is red. The NavahoÂs love for red, according to James, was "Not a mere vagary, a whim, a fancy of the eye, barbaric taste n the wildly gorgeous, a flaunting of his inability to appreciate color, but a keen and grateful recognition of one of the greatest gifts of the gods to menÂ"(p. 61). This "gift" that James is referring to is the sun. The sun was the Navaho way of life. It brought exhilaration, joy, and daily stimulation to the Navaho man. Colors, like the pictures, were a means of communication throughout many Navaho textiles. The difference however, is that they were more a means of keeping tradition alive in that only the Navaho would truly understand the significance and symbolism behind each one."

Hopefully this will help you choose,
Wendy

Here is a link that might be useful: U. of Arizona paper

Bookmark   January 14, 2004 at 10:19PM
muddy_paws

Since he likes blue, and she likes green, why not combine them? Splash in a little orange for contrast and set it all off with a soft pale cream. Should be stunning...
Just my 2c...
Sharon

Bookmark   January 18, 2004 at 2:01AM
BarbaraNY316

Use the blue maybe in 2 different shades, then add 2 different shades of green and now one each of white and black and alternate....White and the Black will bring it all together in a wonderful way....try a small swatch.

Bookmark   January 18, 2004 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
What kind of rug is this?
I was given this rug a long time ago. I'm considering...
janeway452
WANTED: Critter coverlette patterns
Looking for any of the Down on the Farm Creations Critter...
girlsingardens
WANTED: Pillowcase pattern!!
I would love to have the pillowcase pattern. If somebody...
pamelal69
WANTED: Bucilla , Lasetta, etc. Easy Weave afghan patterns
I am interested in trading afghan or pillow weaving...
lauralex
WANTED: pineapple table cloth
my grandmother had a table coth that was all about...
karenj72
Sponsored Products
nuLOOM Natural Fiber Cotton Border Sisal Herringbone Rug (2' 6" x 8')
Overstock.com
CAL Lighting Lamp Shades 20 in. Egg Shell Vertical Piped Basic Empire Shade
$50.44 | Home Depot
Harlequin Ribbon
Grandin Road
Painted Rust One-Light 15-Inch High Fluorescent Cast Aluminum Outdoor Wall Sconc
$68.94 | Bellacor
Echo Catalina 18-inch Square Fuchsia Quilted Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. HSS CO-OP 1-Light Outdoor Weathered Copper P
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™