Low Carb

panzees36September 26, 2004

What is your opinion of this new diet craze?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathy_

If combined with reasonable fat I think it is fine. Some people use it as an excuse to overindulge in fats (especially meats) and rewrite published diets to suit their own taste.
One good thing though is people with diabetes have a lot more choices at the stores since they must follow a low-carb diet anyway.
(Any diet should be supervised by a doctor to keep an eye on your blood counts.)
Kathy

Bookmark   September 27, 2004 at 8:54AM
Susy

The Atkins Diet has been around for a long time now. The Protein Power Plan is the one DH and I are doing; it is a modified version of Atkins. We can have up to 10 carbs a meal along with our minimum protein requirements which you figure from a equation chart the book has. We stay away from flour (white especially), potatoes (I bake potatoes, take out the pulp except for about 1/4 along the sides, butter and call them potato skins. Use butter and some non transfat margarines.

We eat green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini as our other vegetables along with lots of salads which I love. I love cheesecake so make these using several varietions I have picked up on the LowCarb Friends site. I use Splenda, 1/3 less fat cream cheese, sour cream and for cream I use Hood's Carb Countdown milk which is really rich tasting. I love the Chocolate flavor. DH has cereal most mornings using Special K low carb variety with the Hood's milk. Atkins has a cereal I like Morning Start Crunchy Almond Crisp. I buy the Special K at Wal-Mart but most of the Atkin's stuff I can find at Big Lot's, etc for lot's less money!! Found a Total Protein Low Carb cereal when I was at Big Lot's Tuesday along with Atkins corn muffin mix which I will need as it is getting cooler weather and soup time. I am waiting for someone to come along with a good low carb cracker!!!

We eat pork cutlets, talapia fish, tuna, salmon or beef and chicken in some form most midday and evening meals along with a vegetable and salad. No bread except for some low carb I keep for french toast, regular toast and a sandwich now and then. If we can't have the real thing we can do with out bread easily.

I have done Weight Watcher's, TOPS, Protein Power Plan in the past and the programs are as good as the person using them. If you stick with the guidelines they are all going to work. Doing PP/low carb is sure easier now that it was 5 years ago when we were on it due to all the low carb options now when you go to the grocery store-- but not all of the low carb options are that great-- taste wise. We are better off sticking to the basics but if you can't have the "real deal" the low carb items out there help.

I switched from WW to PP because DH is diabetic and wanted to try to get his blood levels back in line--it really helped when we were on it 5 years ago but we slowly drifted off and his sugar levels drifted back up along with both of our cholesterol and trigliceride levels. He is on Lipitor which I sure hope he can get off of--don't like the side effects of most meds.

Exercise, Water and Portion Control are stressed on PP as well as most other programs I have been on and is a real Key to success!

Susy/Missouri

Bookmark   September 30, 2004 at 9:50AM
alisande

Yes, the Atkins diet has been around for quite some time. Dr. Atkins was my physician in NYC in the 1960s.

As I say so often, diet is an individual thing. If I had continued eating those Atkins-recommended saturated fats all these years, I probably wouldn't be around today. On the other hand, I gained weight and dangerously increased my triglycerides on the largely vegetarian, high complex-carb diet I fed to my family (and they thrived on).

So nine years ago, when I made a last-ditch effort to lose weight and get healthy, I greatly reduced the carbs and the saturated fats. For me, this was the best way to go.

I think most people would benefit by eliminating sugar and white flour, but some people seem to be able to tolerate anything.

Susan

Bookmark   October 10, 2004 at 12:21PM
intherain

No matter what "system" you use, it MUST be something you can do every day for the rest of your life. So many people go on these fad diets and lose a lot of weight, but they cannot stick with it. I personally had no success with Low Carb because I hated what I was eating. I hated knowing I couldn't eat certain things. For me, it's all about exercise and portion control. That's it.

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 1:56AM
More Discussions
New low-carber here
Hi, everyone-- I wanted to introduce myself and see...
Repol
Any safe appetite suppressants?
Hello, this is my first post. First let me say that...
tiamaria
new - join me - weekly support oct 1 - 5
This forum has been dead for some time. Let's give...
mcpeg
Just a Rant
I know that I need to exercise and that is why I am...
sameboat
Appetite is out of control, want to lose 25LBS
Hi, I have tried many diets and exercises, many pills,...
koolkelley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™