WANTED: What is equivalent to Red Heart Yarn ?

moonbugJanuary 5, 2005

Can anyone HELP me with a comparison chart ? I recently found a doll dress pattern that I would so like to make, it takes Red Heart Worsted Weight Yarn (3ounces (170 yards) per skein ). I do remember there are different ply's, ..3, 4, I never did get that all into perspective .....I usually am working with threads, don't work alot with yarn, so sure could use your help with sending me one or somewhere I could go to find one with a large cross reference.

Would like to see if I can use up some of what I have here (I bet I don't have the colors I'm in need of) or go down town and find it in maybe another type yarn. There's so much out there right now, this could be a real adventure ! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

Moonbug, many years ago when I was a young woman it was easy. 4 ply meant worsted weight, 2 ply was sport weight, etc. That is not the case anymore. Worsted weight can have only 2 strands and so on. Ply simply refers to the number of strands twisted together to form the yarn. Here is a way to use/substitute some of your yarns:

2 strands of Fingering weight yarn = Sport weight yarn
2 strands of Sport weight yarn = Worsted weight yarn
2 strands of Worsted weight yarn = Bulky yarn
3 strands of Worsted weight yarn = Super Bulky yarn

And you may get some help at the link I am posting (look at number 4).

Here is a link that might be useful: yarn help

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 4:47PM
moonbug

Thank You Donna, its been quite awhile since I've worked with yarn, as you can tell ! It sure isn't like you said and I know, when this was that and that over there was that! I'm still wondering about a convertion chart, there must be one out there somewhere. What ever happened to ..... easy to understand and work with ? ? ? ? ? With nothing taken away from the different yarns there are today.

Went to the site you wrote down and that is helpful, I'll be going back there more, yet I'm still confusted, I do hope to get it at least kinda put in its place so I can make the dress and hope it fits !

Thanks Again you've been very helpful and also refeshed lots of what I had forgotten.

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 12:03AM
poetmom

Hi Moonbug--if you do decide to go look at new yarn (it's snowing like crazy here, too...) what you'll need to pay attention to is the gauge. There will usually be a place on the yarn band that says something like "18 st = 4" (on imported yarns it might be a diagram). A yarn that will give you the same gauge as the pattern should work out pretty well. Is anybody out there old enough to remember when Red Heart worsted was 100% wool? ;-)

Bookmark   January 23, 2005 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Very old Workbasket Magazine issues
I would like any old or very old issues of Workbasket...
therahort
WANTED: Fibrecraft doll patterns
I am looking for fibrecraft doll patterns, they are...
lovetocrochetdolls
HAVE: doll patterns
I have a long,long list of all kinds of doll patterns....
greeneys98
WANTED: Bucilla , Lasetta, etc. Easy Weave afghan patterns
I am interested in trading afghan or pillow weaving...
lauralex
WANTED: dumplin designs lollipop lane and cupcake corner patter
I would appreciate any patterns that could be emailed...
bonejo
Sponsored Products
Flo Clamp LED Desk Lamp
Lightology
Antique Red Gray Pleated Drum Shade Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Stilo Bronze Three-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Light Bar Canopy an
$634.50 | Bellacor
Gotz Muffin 13 in. Baby Doll with Overalls - 1420901
$51.29 | Hayneedle
Morris Leather Dining Chairs (Set of 2) - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Darya Rugs Khyber, Red, 8'5" x 9'7" M1725-162
Darya Rugs
Hand-Tufted Multicolor Mandara Abstract Wool Rug (5' x 7')
Overstock.com
Flash Furniture Signature Design By Ashley Commando Sofa In Black Leather
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™