Faux pas or nah?
I am feeling guilty the morning after attending a friend's engagement party. My question is the following: Was my behavior rude, or was it excusable? (And if it's the former, do I owe the host an apology?)
Here are the facts.
1. I was invited to a friend's engagement party by his parents. (I'll refer to him as "John.") John and I attended college together. I have not seen him in a couple of years, although we've kept in touch online. The party would be 4-hours away from my home.
2. The invitation was addressed to "Miss Nicole and friend." I responded in a nice note, thanking his parents for inviting me, and informing them that I would be attending with a friend (I'll call her "Katie") from the same college.
3. Katie and John had never met.
4. After agreeing to join me, Katie asked me to pick her up at a friend's summer party. She mentioned that I'd only have to stay for a short while. I was beginning to sense that Katie might not have been the best choice of a friend to bring to the engagement party. She suggested that I not be so uptight about arriving at the exact time it said on the invitation. Since I had no other friends who would join me, and I didn't want to attend alone, I decided to let the issue go.
5. I sent John an email (our primary means of communication) early in the morning, explaining that I would be arriving later than expected because I had to meet my friend and then drive back to her place to drop off her car.
6. We ended up being 3-hours late! It killed me because I am adamant about etiquette. (I am cringing now while writing this.) It was a huge event -- complete with caterers and a DJ. I brought a bottle of wine, as I was under the impression that gifts are not expected at an engagement party. (To my surprise, there was a large table upon which sat gift bags and boxes for the bride- and groom-to-be!)
7. I apologized to John for our late arrival. I explained we got lost, which was the truth. He said, however, that he was just so honored that I drove 4-hours to attend.
Am I being too hard on myself, or did I mess up?