Can you overdo cardio workouts everyday?

LuckyMay 22, 2002

I was wondering if there's such a thing as overdoing your cardio workouts each day. Well basically I hit the gym on an average of 9 times per week. I like to run an hour each time on the treadmill. Well basically my personal trainer is telling me that I'm doing too much cardio and that I'll be losing muscle instead of fat and just end up dehydrating myself. So he put me on a daily regimen of 45 minutes max a day of cardio. Can someone please explain this whole bit to me? I just don't understand. I mean isn't it always better to run that extra hour rather than sit at home and watch tv? I just don't understand...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aileen

Get yourself a book on how these things work. then maybe you will understand better. Yes, it is possible to use up more muscle tissue than you can rebuild if you do too much. then you are going to be in BIG trouble.

All of your body tissues, both fat, neural and muscle are constantly being broken down and rebuilt. I suspect with the amount of exercise that you do that you have little fat to use for energy. Therefore, you are breaking down muscle tissue to use. That's the way the body works.

Keep in mind that your most important muscle is your heart. It would be wise to listen to your trainer and give your muscles a proper lenght of time to recover. Watching TV will do this, more running won't.

Bookmark   May 22, 2002 at 10:51PM
trekaren

My best routine was cardio one day, weight/strength training the alternate day.

What you will find is that strength training can bring your heart rate almost as high as a cardio.

But the strength training reaps many benefits for your body, not just the heart/lungs.

Bookmark   May 23, 2002 at 9:04AM
Chantel

Lucky
check out this site for tons of info regarding fitness as well.
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com

This is one of the most informative sites on the net regarding weight training and cardio.

And yep, your trainer is right.

Bookmark   May 27, 2002 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
Food expiration date
Is the 2 yr limit valid on canned food? Our garage...
joe_mn
The food Villains! -- please join in
I'm not exactly sure when it all started, but it seems...
celestial
Total Gym, workouts for weight loss
Hi I am a 52 yr.old (overweight)male who has a total...
popellis
Abtronic.... and the verdict on this is?
I just saw this on TV. Any feedback on this? Saw the...
TinaNY
Lifestyle Changes
Hey everyone. My husband and I are in the middle of...
bigbaby
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™