cribbage, Mexican train, skip-bo ???

lefleur1March 30, 2014

We are suffering from cabin fever! Anybody have suggestions for card games we might try?

We have many of the *board* games we used to play with our kids ... but ... I don't know, just looking for something where I don't have to pull out the *boxes* of monopoly board etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for any suggestions ~~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alisande

Well, cribbage needs a board, although I suppose you could keep score on paper. The visual of the board is nice if you have one.

How many are you? I like Spades, Hearts, and Knock Rummy for three or four, Poker for whatever number, and Honeymoon Bridge for two.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:14PM
Annie Deighnaugh

We used to enjoy Canasta, and for a simpler card game, we'd play "may I?"

But there's always charades and trivial pursuit type things...puzzles on line...jigsaw puzzles from the library.

Or better yet, how about doing some baking! Nothing beats cabin fever like the aroma of freshly baked whatever.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 8:36PM
bac717

We like to play 31, also called Scat and a variety of other names. All you need is a deck of cards.

Here is a link that might be useful: 31/Scat/Ride the Bus/Blitz

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:34PM
lefleur1

Great suggestions and I intend to follow up on all of them ~~ well, not the baking thingy cuz the calories are killers for someone who is already suffering from cabin fever ~ dontcha know constant and egregious over-eating is one of the major symptoms of cabin fever? (grin)

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 11:43PM
lynninnewmexico

DH & I love to play Gin (also called Gin Rummy) and Backgammon. When we get together with friends we often play Catch Phrase or Mexican Dominoes.
Lynn

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:56AM
lefleur1

lynne, I wonder if Mexican dominoes is the same as Mexican train?

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 2:08PM
lynninnewmexico

Yes, it is the same. Fun!

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:22PM
gail618

Funny that you say skip-bo. I played it many years ago with friends and thought it was great fun -- so I pulled it out to play it with my two college-aged sons this past winter break and they thought it was "the most stupid game ever"! So we have gone back to chess. But, and I know you don't want board games, but -- have you ever played Balderdash? It is a blast -- so much fun!

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:31PM
kswl2

Mancala is a fun game with polished stones and a wooden board, some of them are quite pretty, depending upon the materials used. It's a game of equal skill and strategy, a good one for mixed ages.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
Width of light over vanity?
I am doing a budget renovation of the hall/company...
Susan Taylor Brown
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
Help me find a powder room paint color
My painter is here fixing another problem (sheetrock,...
tfitz1006
Talking of airbnb, white walls, and Paris....
I'd move into this apartment in a heartbeat. And, no,...
nosoccermom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™