Lower Back Pain

blueheronApril 23, 2009

What would be a good exercise to strengthen the lower back? I have some lower back pain that started on Sunday night and is easing up now. I was cleaning out the garage and must have strained a muscle.

I would like to strengthen my lower back to prevent this from happening again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

I think the emphasis should be on strengthening your abdominal muscles and your buttocks. If you strengthen those muscles you put less of a burden on your lower back. And you definitely need to stretch your lower back. But you have to be very careful not to overdo that -- best to get a book written by a physical therapist that can walk you through the steps -- what to do and what not to do. And you need to get in the habit of stretching your back GENTLY every day.

If you are prone to lower back problems -- if you have had them on more than two or three occasions, and they made you very uncomfortable -- you should also get some guidance on simple things we usually don't think about, like how to sit and get up from a chair or from bed, how to get into a car without twisting yourself in such a way that you put extra stress on your lower back, how to bend down to pick something up (bend you knees and keep your back straight).

Lower back problems are very very common. It's one of the prices we pay for being upright creatures. But you can reduce their frequqncy and intensity by following the rules. If you go to webmd.com you might get some hints on the kind of books that might be helpful. Or just browse around in you public library or a bookstore.

Good luck.

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 11:29PM
blueheron

Thanks, I will check out the site. I am a gardener so it's imperative for me to be able to kneel and work in the garden. I do use a kneeler which helps. I never had the problem before so I'm hoping it's just a fluke.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 8:22PM
fandlil

It's important NOT to bend at your waist, because that puts an extra stress on the lower back. Bend your knees and keep your back straight, or kneel down when you're gardening.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 11:26AM
gardenlover25

Back pain is always been my problem. Before I do yoga and it helps ease the pain I felt. But I'm so busy nowadays that I can't even find time to do any exercise that is why my back pain is keep on aching.

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 3:01PM
dreamgarden

My husband is very active. Runs, bikes, etc. He has had back problems over the years. Sciatica, lumbar and cervical issues.

After running the gamut of pain meds, exercise, vitamins, chiropractic, etc, we bought an inversion table.

He has been using it for a couple of months and says it has made a difference.

The Army uses them as well.

A link that might be useful:

www.energycenter.com/grav_f/army_inversion.pdf

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Do you own a masticating juicer?
Just bought an Omega and I was wondering if you peel...
msrose
Yoga and weight loss II
Hi everyone! Since the thread closed I thought I'd...
georgia_girl
anti-aging
hello, looking for anti-aging products. Ideas?
tiggervan
green tea for weight loss
Has anyone tried drinking green tea to lose weight?...
cheesecurlgurl
Do Ab Machines Shown on TV Really Work? - Report from ABC News
This was at ABC News' website... Friday December 14...
MrsJim
Sponsored Products
Bush Fairview Computer Desk and Optional Hutch - BHI355
$359.99 | Hayneedle
Progress Lighting P3118-15 Broadway 8-Light Bath Strip
Progress Lighting
Classics Solar Bronze Wood Round Cocktail Table
Overstock.com
Fluted Umbrella Base
Grandin Road
Frosted Glass 38-inch Coffee Table
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting P3115-15 Broadway Four-Light Bath Strip
Progress Lighting
Furniture of America Rustic Rectangular Coffee Table - Dark Oak - IDF-4638C
$339.98 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Blinds & Shades Cut-to-Width Snow Drift 9/16 in.
Home Decorators Collection
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™