Combined Celebration for marriage and new baby

leeleelew4May 14, 2010

My son lives out of state and will be visiting soon to introduce his wife and new son. I am planning an open house from 4-10 for 75 family and friends to meet them. He never had a wedding reception and this is all he will have. I need some kind of ideas for decorations and food. Hoping to use outside if weather permits. Don't want to barbeque with hot dogs/hamburgers. Thinking of several possibilities - and entree and some salads or heavy appetizers or a combination of both. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gellchom

That is a lot of people to cook for and serve yourself. Is it possible to hire a caterer or a helper or two, and/or to bring in food?

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 11:49PM
leeleelew

Yes, caterer is an option but I am trying to get some ideas before I make that decision. Still looking for suggestions on which way to go though - very casual or more structured.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 11:39AM
lindac

Only you and your son can decide if casual or more structured.
It's not too hard to put together a meal for 75 with something like a turkey tetrazinni or a couple of whole pork loins on the grill or oven fried chicken with sides of say potato salad and marinated veggie salad and slaw....
Linda C

Bookmark   May 18, 2010 at 12:40AM
gellchom

With a baby centrally involved, I am not picturing something very cocktail partyish. How would you feel about a barbecue that is not burgers, hot dogs, and potato salad, but chicken, steaks, portabellos, and/or lamb chops (mmm) and fancier salads? That would be a nice outside, baby-friendly party that will feel more special than an ordinary cookout. If you can, have a bartender fixing a specialty drink and some icy sangria -- not much more expensive than beers, and more special. Have a lovely cake for dessert.

I wouldn't think you would need special decorations; I love plants and flowers for outside. You can put potted plants on tables with ribbon around the pots. Then make sure your yard and garden look nice, and you really don't need more decoration than that.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:48PM
leeleelew

Thanks for the suggestions. Praying for nice weather so party can be outside. Food will be inside no matter what weather is. Niece helping me with tablescape and will go with appetizers, hors d'oeuvres and fruit, cheese and veggies trays. Sangria sounds like a good idea. thanks for your help ladies.

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 2:01AM
More Discussions
A dinner party to make new friends?
Hello everyone :) I've just moved house into a new...
Babowl
Questions about Murder/Mystery Games
Please tell me more about Murder/Mystery Games (apparently...
bizzybee
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
Help! Baby Shower Gift etiquette?
I need some help here as to proper etiquette. God this...
caboomer
Young teens and birthday parties
Anyone on here a parent of a young teen (13-14 years...
jewelisfabulous
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Palm Windows Earth 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Moda Square Lace Chrome Nine-Light 22-Inch Pendant with Royal Cut Light Peridot
Bellacor
Rook Bath Bar by Hubbardton Forge
$630.00 | Lumens
Trafico Espresso Office Chairs
Euro Style Lighting
Personalized Pet Bowl Holder - W
$250.00 | Horchow
Safavieh Lyndhurst Tabriz Blue/ Ivory Rug (3'3 x 5'3)
Overstock.com
Arcadia Forged Brass Cabinet Pull
Signature Hardware
Feiss Mission Lodge 12 1/2" High Wall Mount Lantern
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™