I got an iPod for Christmas!

socksDecember 26, 2006

My DS and DIL gave me an iPod for Christmas. I'm learning how to use it, I hope. I plugged it into my computer, iTunes came up and I guess it loaded my songs onto the iPod?

Well, the real question is this...the iPod has a red circle with a line across it, blinking, and the words below the circle say "Do not disconnect."

What's going on here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lynne_SJO

Once you plug the iPod into the computer, you cannot unplug it until you "eject" it correctly, or you may loose data. Do you have a memory stick or a digital camera? Anything that uses flash type memory works this way - at least in my experience.

Anyway, we are a 2-pod household. Depending on the version of iTunes software you have,there should be an icon for your iPod on the tray (bottom part of the screen), or near the bottom of the iTunes library display. If you right click on it, a menu will come up and you select "eject iPod." Once you do that - if done correctly - the red circle on your iPod will change into a green check mark. That means it is OK to unplug it.

Ours are several years old, so the steps may have changed a bit. If so, just search the help menu or manual for "how to eject your iPod."

Congrats on your gift. You will love it!

Lynne

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 1:09AM
steve_o

The first synchronization takes a while because everything has to be transferred to the iPod. Lynne's advice is correct; the only difference I can point to is that, on my Mac, the iPod is listed along with the other iTunes content and it has an icon containing an upward-pointing triangle within a circle that you can click on to "eject" the iPod. You just have to wait until it's done. Future synchs will be faster.

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 9:38AM
socks

Ok, I found the icon on the computer to eject the iPod. I'm now reading iPod 101 so I won't have to ask any more of these elementary questions. There's a lot to learn. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   December 27, 2006 at 11:03AM
More Discussions
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
home stero using XM radio
i am building our retirement home and have installed...
coetexas
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
Best and thinnest flat screen wall mountable tv less than 20" high?
I am so out of my depth here. I would greatly appreciate...
bellsmom
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Sponsored Products
Rainbow Records Mini Jukebox
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Set of Two Knit Scarf Ornaments
Grandin Road
Bright White & Nile 'I Love You a Bushel and a Peck' Pillow
$24.99 | zulily
Bamboo Wooden Folding Shower Bathroom Fixture Seat Bathroom Accessory
Hudson Reed
Furniture of America Rocklin Platform Bed - IDF-7948T
$359.99 | Hayneedle