Help me with high school graduation party

wigardenerwannabeMay 5, 2007

My son will be graduating soon and I plan to do an open house in June. However, I am doing this solo (single mom) and have very limited experience with entertaining...and am not a natural cook. I would like to keep my stress level down, but make it an enjoyable celebration for my son and friends/famly. I'm thinking we might end up with 75 to 100 people. I'm kind of lost as to how to keep this simple but nice. Do I do a brunch...or 1-4pm without a meal...or 3-7 with an evening meal. In any case I am hopeful that some of you might have some advise in terms of how to go about this and menu ideas. Would very much appreciate your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Buy a boneless ham and have it shaved. Buy a rolled rump roast and make Italian beef for sandwiches...re warm just before the party. Buy lots of sandwich buns.
Make a couple of heads of cabbage into slaw, make or buy potato salad. have a vat of veggies and dip...most kids love ranch.
Have a boat load of chips, a tub of ice with sodas and pop and fill your freezer with various cookies.
All very doable for one person....rent or borrow a 10 foot table....set the food out....and there you are! I normally hate the thoughts of paper plates....but I give you permission to use them for this!
And enjoy!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian beef

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 12:06AM
carla35

How about having a 1-4pm party and just ordering (or making) a bunch of long sub sandwiches...slice them small (not everyone will want a full serving)...add some salads, easy desserts, fresh fruit, a few dips, chips, and some cheese and crackers. Your biggest problem may be refrigerator room...at least, that's usually my biggest problem for larger groups. I just have no where to store the cold food stuff!

If the bulk of the 75-100 people are mainly your son's friends, you could consider a pizza party.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 12:58AM
lydia1959

I'm doing a graduation party for my DD in June. I'm planning on borrowing a crockpot or two and doing Kalua Pork (see link, it is excellent and very easy!!) and some sort of beef as well (Linda's recipe looks good), slaw, a pasta salad, a bean salad, veggies and dip as well as chips. We should have about 50 people and I do plan on hiring a teen to help out. We are borrowing tables and chairs from a club my DH belongs to. I'm making simple tablecloths from fabric I bought off eBay instead of using the paper ones.

I'll be checking back to this post for more ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kalua Pork

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
Worst visit ever
A friend and I were going out today, we live in different...
BGOS
Disappearing Brunch Guest
I'd love to hear your responses. We had a brunch for...
newgardenelf
Holiday dinner with divorced inlaws.
Once again it is a holiday dinner coming up and I always...
grandmamary_ga
guests who just won't leave
I couldn't find a thread on this topic, so here goes... I...
swampwitch
Sponsored Products
Divi Nickel Amethyst 12 1/2" Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
Florence Knoll Style Sofa-White - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern
Stone Mill Hardware Velocity Polished Chrome Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Tempest Polished Nickel Five-Light Flush Mount
$938.00 | Bellacor
Willow Creek Press America Back Then Puzzle - 34366
$16.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Seschat Beige/Gold 9 ft. x
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™