Sub woofer connection question

hvturnerDecember 24, 2006

I'm connecting a powered sub woofer that used to have a RCA connection. How do I change it to a traditional speaker wire connection with a + and - connection?

I have connected it both ways and it seems to sound better with the shielded RCA wire connected to the + speaker wire. Is this correct? I attempted to post a pic. I hope it works.

[IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p175/hvturner/connection.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
criticalmass048

Powered subwoofers use the red and white connectors, which are called "line level" signals. This means, the signal coming over those cabels is NOT amplified.

I can't get that link to work, but it sounds like you want to hook up the speaker to an amplifier, or other device that does not have a "Line Level" subwoofer output. This means the device you are trying to connect it to is amplifying the signal, and while you may be changing the connection type, you are not changing the signal, and therefore the subwoofer is amplifying it AGAIN. This will cause distortion. Doesn't your subwoofer have + / - speaker inputs?

Bookmark   December 29, 2006 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
criticalmass048

Powered subwoofers use the red and white connectors, which are called "line level" signals. This means, the signal coming over those cabels is NOT amplified.

I can't get that link to work, but it sounds like you want to hook up the speaker to an amplifier, or other device that does not have a "Line Level" subwoofer output. This means the device you are trying to connect it to is amplifying the signal, and while you may be changing the connection type, you are not changing the signal, and therefore the subwoofer is amplifying it AGAIN. This will cause distortion. Doesn't your subwoofer have + / - speaker inputs?

Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 12:08AM
More Discussions
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™