Room Air Cleaners

mawheelDecember 2, 2011

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but maybe someone can advise me. Is a room air cleaner effective at cleaning the air? Is there any brand that one would reccomend over another?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

My gut reaction is that they don't work particularly well. If you have a forced air heating or cooling system, you might want to consider some kind of high efficiency filtration.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 11:00PM
mawheel

Thanks for your response.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 1:37PM
llaatt22

Most electronic air cleaners were originally developed to remove combustion soot and other carbon based particles degrading the performance of high voltage components associated with military systems. Getting them to work effectively was very messy and labor intensive.
If you are interested in keeping a small room clean and are a bit handy, there is a way but it isn't cheap. You will need a Seville brand or similar tower style fan, a pair of aviation style snips, and a supply of expensive 3M Filtrete electostatic filter panels. You remove the metal support grid from the intake (outside) side of the filter (cutting, pulling, bleeding, and cutting) and and then bend and strap the whole filter around the tower covering the tower fan air intake holes. You would be surprised how quickly that portion of the filter darkens in a city environment. Then after several months it is time to cut off the dirty section and reinstall. Three to six filter panels a year, cost for them maybe $40 to $100?
Check into HEPA filter machines as well but adequate airflow and velocity can be a problem.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 11:14PM
stonehard

I have an air purifier and it works pretty well. Along with the basic odor eliminating air fresheners

Bookmark   December 8, 2011 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
13.2v Battery Charger
The battery charger for my Craftsman drill has died...
randy427
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™