Internet Radio

frontloadfanDecember 24, 2007

Hi,

Getting ready to purchase a receiver. Will be certain to get one that is XM/Sirus ready. Also interested in internet radio.

I have seen them on web sites but they all seem to need WiFi to receive the internet radio stations. I receive broadband via cable. Is it pretty easy to configure it to give a wifi signal?

Has anyone had experience with internet radio yet? It seems like you could use your computer to bring in internet radio stations, but I prefer simplier method of having a radio that can directly tune the radio station.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jxbrown

I listen to internet radio all the time on my computer. Tomorrow, I believe, a certain jolly old elf is going to leave an internet radio at my house. I'll let you know if it works as advertised.

If your cable modem does not already have a wireless access point, you will need to add a wireless access point to your router. It attaches with a single cable and should not be a problem to install although you may have to do some minor fiddling around with settings. You could also probably take your current modem back to your cable provider and swap it for a modem that already has wireless access.

Bookmark   December 24, 2007 at 10:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jxbrown

Yep, easy to use. I got a Tangent Quattro. I opened the box, plugged it in, and found first my network and then my favorite international station in less than 60 seconds. I've been happily exploring world news and poking around for classical and jazz stations. Right now I have WBEZ from Chicago playing and before that I was listening to the news from France on RFI. Amusingly, my favorite local station is not available, but I've already requested that its stream be added.

Another option for you would be a Logitech Squeezebox, but that needs to be played through a receiver.

Bookmark   December 25, 2007 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™