Tips for keeping cold platters cold?

agnajMay 2, 2007

Hi all,

I'm planning to order several large platters and a sheet cake from my local grocery store to cater a graduation party I'm hosting for about 50 people. I'm worried that my refrigerator is too small to store more than 2-3 large items in the hours prior to the party.

Any tips for keeping platters cool for a few hours without a refrigerator? I was wondering if placing the platters in those insulated pizza bags, maybe with an ice pack, would help.

I appreciate any insight/advice. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Insulated pizza packs with ice...or a large picnic cooler with ice...all would work.
Linda C

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 1:40PM
lydia1959

I've heard of people filling a inexpensive children's wading pool with ice, then keeping the cold dishes in that. Once the party was about to begin you could move the platters to the serving area and add canned soda and bottled water to the pool? The ice might melt quickly though if you are in a hot area.

Bookmark   May 2, 2007 at 2:32PM
susanjf_gw

lydia the wading pool works very well. dd2 set hers under the umbrella. she also utilized the deep sink in the laundry room.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 8:22PM
Meghane

I've used the bathtub filled with ice. Best I've seen though was a canoe filled with ice with the platters on top. It was a summer-themed barbeque and they just kept the canoe filled the whole weekend.

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
Mosquito problem
Our house is on 7 wooded acres; the mosquito problem...
cheerful1_gw
Slow cooker or Crock pot
What's the difference? And which do you think is better?...
yborgal
Guests always bring along a dog
How would you handle this? My wifes long time friend...
Don_
friend argues with girlfriend
I am not sure where this question should go, but I...
FreeClayInMyGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™