Tipping a Personal Chef

msbrandywinevalleyMay 16, 2014

I've been given a gift of having a personal chef come to my home to cook and serve a 3-course meal for eight people. The chef is the owner of the business. He'll have one assistant/server with him. I have no idea how much to tip the chef and/or the server. I don't know the cost of the meal. I will be providing the wine.

Can anyone offer me some tipping guidelines? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancylouise_gw

Personal Chefs in my area-So. Maine/So. NH, charge any where from $50 to $90+ pp depending on what is being served. Times that by 8 people and you will have a rough total of the meal cost. We always tip our server at least 20% when we go out to eat. I'm not sure you tip the owner of the business. I don't tip the owner of a salon when I go because they are the owner. Workerbees yes, owners no. HTH, NancyLouise

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 8:52AM
msbrandywinevalley

Thanks, nancylouise. So to clarify -- are you saying you would you tip the server/assistant the entire 20% and not tip the chef/owner?

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 1:12PM
nancylouise_gw

Yes, 20% tip for the server, no tip for the Chef/owner. If the Chef has a website, you might want to check it out to see if the gratuity may already have been included in the price paid. Some add in the tip when the number of diners reach a certain number. Usually 6-8 people. Enjoy your dinner! Great gift idea. NancyLouise

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 2:08AM
More Discussions
Awkward Baby Shower - Did I Handle It Correctly?
We've all experienced strange party situations, but...
Karen10125
Adult party games wanted
Anyone know of games to play at adult only parties?...
good36
Young teens and birthday parties
Anyone on here a parent of a young teen (13-14 years...
jewelisfabulous
High School Graduation Party
We are planning my DD's HS graduation party and I was...
crystal01
Going to dinner as a guest tonight
My husband asked our host and his latest girlfriend...
ilovepink
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™