Cheapest place for white dinnerware?

scrapulousApril 5, 2007

Hi, I am building my stock of entertaining supplies, and next I'd like to buy a bunch of plain white dinnerware. What is the best place to buy it? I mean cheap, like $1 per plate, etc. I thought online restaurant supply sites would be cheap, but I was surprised to find I could often buy dishes cheaper at BB&B! I want cheap so I won't worry about them getting broken, etc. I hate to use plastic or paper plates for showers, etc.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

At the Corning outlet they have plain white plates for $1... they are really sort of cheesy...but next time I get there I am going to buy a bunch for kids to use.
My advice is just to keep looking for a sale....you'll find it...
Try places like Mikasa outlet and Kohl's when they have a coupon.
Target has some in sets of 8 for $19.95...but that's $2.50 each.
But even if you do pay that, you will be money ahead over paper or plastic after the 4th time you have used them....not to mention that they are soooo much nicer for entertaining. I hate disposable!
Linda C

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 1:10AM
dulcinea

I get mine down in Chinatown...if you live in a city where you have a chinatown. All sorts of dinnerplates there. I hate disposables too.

With three kids 5 and under and another due anyday I use those typical chinese buffet unbreakable plates all the time. Got those for a dollar.

Older members of my family love the plastic too because they are so light. they always complain about my good set of dishes because they are too heavy.

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 8:03PM
lydia1959

Is there a "Old Time Pottery" in your area. They often have plates for $1.00 or a bit more.

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 11:29PM
Marigene

Try a restaurant supply store, they are fairly inexpensive.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 7:50AM
lindac

Read her post....she did.
Also think of a restraunt that is going out of business. I have a friend who got 50 white buffet sized plates for $.50 each from a place that was selling out.
Linda C

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 10:44AM
kathleen_li

Scrapulous,
I too hate plastic and paper. I used to do catering and invested in 100 clear glass plates, and as Linda said they have paid for themselves many times over. I don't cater any more, but entertain a lot, and large groups, and I have never broken one. They are made by Aroroc.
I also just bought service for 4 white set in LinensnThings. With the 20% off it came to 15.00 a set.
As some of the other posters suggest, Dollar stores and places like OT pottery usually have them for a dollar.
Check linensnthings.com. Last week they had 12 dinner plates for 15.00 with the coupon.
Here is a pic of the set I got. The blue charger was separate.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 6:03PM
labmomma

Do you live near a large city? Our "restaurant supply row" in the city has all kinds of stuff including dishes at the cheapest prices I've ever seen. They stock the white and cream dishes to supply the restaurants from bars to Four Seasons. I am sure if you went to a supply store, you would find more than you will find online. When I go, I am like a kid in the candy store. Also, I come away with alot for a small amount of money.

Good luck.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
High School Graduation Party
We are planning my DD's HS graduation party and I was...
crystal01
friend argues with girlfriend
I am not sure where this question should go, but I...
FreeClayInMyGarden
$10 graduation gifts
Hi, my daughter is graduating from high school. We're...
strayerdarb
Mosquito problem
Our house is on 7 wooded acres; the mosquito problem...
cheerful1_gw
Guests always bring along a dog
How would you handle this? My wifes long time friend...
Don_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™