retirement gift: what is proper amount?

hokiesApril 22, 2007

My family has been invited to a retirement party of a female friend. I am thinking of getting the spa gift certificate. What is the proper amount to give for such occasion?

I read somewhere in the etiquette articles that usually at retirement parties, gifts are not expected. Is this right? Thank you for your help.

Hokies

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathleen_li

Are you paying for your dinner? At all the retirement parties I have attended and run there was a cost to attend and part of that went toward the gift.
These parties were held in restaurants.,
If you are not paying to attend , like if it is in someone's home, I think a gift is appropriate. If you KNOW the lady would use a spa certificate, it is a great idea. If you aren't sure, a gift certificate is nice. I recently catered a party for a friend. She paid for the ingredients, but I did all the cooking and made the centerpieces. In the thank you note was a gift card from say, American Express, which could be used anywhere..a lovely gesture.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 1:03PM
hokies

No, we are not paying for dinner. It will be a party at a community center. I am thinking of $100 for a gift card but my DH thinks it should be twice that. Any opinion is appreciated since I need to get the gift card soon.

Thank you.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 7:34PM
ilovepink

Gifts are not expected. If you are giving her something that is nice. But, I wouldn't do $100 unless we were very close. $50 or less would be just fine. I like the pampering idea. So do enough for a pedicure or manicure.

A gift certificate to a book store would be nice.

I think you are being very generous. Just don't feel that you have to do too much.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 7:50PM
hokies

Thank you all for your help. I got her a Bed and Breakfast card since I found out she will travel cross country soon.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
$10 graduation gifts
Hi, my daughter is graduating from high school. We're...
strayerdarb
Slow cooker or Crock pot
What's the difference? And which do you think is better?...
yborgal
Tipping a Personal Chef
I've been given a gift of having a personal chef come...
msbrandywinevalley
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
What would you do?
The setting: Ladies gathered for coffee and chatting......
kitykat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™