Banana shakes okay?

azmodanMarch 7, 2007

I've been having a concoction of my own for a few years, without caring whether it did harm or good. I take a banana, mash it inside a mug with a fork so that it remains chunky, and mix in some milk and 2 teaspoons of sugar. I have this twice a day. Now, a friend told me that he had read somewhere that bananas and milk are fine, but when mixed together are not healthy "for guys". I don't know how true or false that is, so I was wondering if someone knew something about it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salena

I would think that is a bunch of bunk!!! Hope you use 2% milk and Splenda.....
Salena

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 8:28AM
azmodan

no, vitamin D milk and regular sugar. :\

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 2:30PM
devorah

well I can't have it, but I am diabetic. It sounds fine to me. You get potassium & calcium etc. That has to be good.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 7:27PM
kimba00

It's not healthy because adding the sugar cancels out any health benefits. There's plenty of natural sugars in the banana and the milk alone. By adding sugar you've made it into a high calorie, high carb dessert. You might as well sit down to a small dish of ice cream.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 2:21PM
eloise_ca

I agree with kimba00. And you are having all that sugar twice a day, definitely not good. Start by cutting the sugar in half, and I also hope you are not substituting the two shakes for meals. You can also use low-fat plain yogurt instead of the milk.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 8:28PM
jenn

He said that a friend told him: bananas and milk are fine, but when mixed together are not healthy "for guys", then asked if it is true or not. He didn't ask if the addition of sugar is healthy.

I think that claim about bananas + milk for guys sounds ridiculous. Maybe that was true about one guy who had a big digestive problem and couldn't eat normally.

Tho' you didn't ask about the addition of sugar, I do agree with the others. It is totally unnecessary with the banana which is already sweet enough.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 10:58PM
azmodan

Thanks for all the info. Jenn, in the last post hit it on the head when she drilled down on the question. On a side note however, I will also cut down on the sugar... and no, I don't substitute it for meals.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
How to exercise with broken foot?
I came back from a wonderful trip. I had been in pretty...
linnea56
Is riding a Bike really good excercise?
I know that riding a bike is good for your legs but...
netshound
How much iron supplement?
I see a slow release iron 45mg -- one a day -- take...
chisue
A Physical Therapist Told Me
MY DH goes to a physical therapy gym several times...
jannie
green tea for weight loss
Has anyone tried drinking green tea to lose weight?...
cheesecurlgurl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™