terrible odor in TV

woodnymph2_gwDecember 1, 2009

Two of my appliances got fried by our recent Nor'Easter. My stepdaughter got my TV working again, after black smoke had come out of its rear. It is an older Zenith tube type, with a converter box and antenna. It is working great now, BUT------last night, I suddenly smelled a terrible odor. I had it on for about one hour. I felt the TV and it was not overheating and seemed normal otherwise. Why suddenly this bad smell? Is this dangerous? PLEASE HELP....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Black smoke plus terrible odor means something in the TV got fried.

Why it is still working at all is the mystery.

Bookmark   December 2, 2009 at 11:02PM
woodnymph2_gw

Now, several days later, the TV is still working well. The odor has almost disappeared. The only change I notice now is fine gray horizontal lines in the background. This is new but not enough to bother me. It is, indeed, a mystery!

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 10:44AM
dfeller

If it is a tube TV, there are three common failures with the storm and issues you describe:
If you ever decided to open it up and look...
1) flyback transformer - look for a suction cup looking thing stuck to the back/side of the tube itself and follow that back down to a black plastic box looking thing - see if that has any melted areas on it - if so I would stop using the TV
2) popped capacitor - usually in power supply section near where the power cord comes in - small usually blue can looking things - you will normally see a small metal plate on top with a scribed X - (about 1/4 the size of a dime) - if any of them are distorted or missing with black goo coming out they also smell bad and would be cause for not using the TV anymore
3) melted/blown power transformer - depending on the age of the TV - again cause to stop using it as a fire hazard.

Just some thoughts for you.
DF

Bookmark   December 3, 2009 at 6:49PM
woodnymph2_gw

Thanks. Just an update: yesterday, while I was watching a movie, the screen suddenly went black. The system totally died, even the DVD player. So, evidently the Nor'Easter power surge dealt its death knell. It was a 2001 Zenith.

Bookmark   December 4, 2009 at 12:09PM
j.donald

lol, it could be from other sockets ,
other than the TV as TV is working perfectly ,
check the surroundings , pins , sockets and other gadgets present near the the TV.

Bookmark   December 11, 2009 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™