Probably a silly question, but regarding weight training

housekeepingMarch 21, 2008

I was wondering about this today and thought someone here might be able to answer.....

I read that adding weight training is important for older people (late 50's) so I'm trying to figure out how to get some in. I live (and work) on farm so I'm not sure how much more I need to add as I am pretty constantly active all day, year round. Some of the jobs are quite physically demanding: cutting, splitting and hauling wood for instance; and then there's toting 40 or 50 lb bags of feed and pellets or shoveling in the barns or roofs. Well, you get the picture.

When I see people doing weight training they are lifting little dumbell-shaped weights. So do you think that the following activity might suffice for weight training? I am currently working on a multi-year project to limb up several acres of pole timber working with a 12' pole saw that weighs about 2 lbs and removing branches about 16-18 feet in air. I do it about an hour or so a day and will for another month or two. The work is basically raise the saw, pull down, repeatedly, to cut, then reposition and cut another branch. I am not folding my arms up and down from waist to shoulder level, but raising them from shoulder to full extension overhead. Does that count? I work at it quite steadily, and I can talk, but not sing while I do it.

TIA for your response.

Molly~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

I think you're covered Molly

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluesibe

Molly hi,

I believe that there is a big difference between working and working out.

Even though you have strenous physical exercise daily, are you working all of your muscle groups correctly? Also, a good trainer will not only work all of your muscles, he/she will work on balance and make sure that you stretch properly.

This is a personal decision on your part. Good luck in making it.

Carol

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Which brand of canned pineapple has least tin-can-taste?
To me there's a very strong tin can odor in canned...
jally
The food Villains! -- please join in
I'm not exactly sure when it all started, but it seems...
celestial
I want to start doing Yoga, is this something would I be able to
Hello Friends, I would like to start doing yoga, but...
Orneved
Herbalife Nutrition
Is Herbalife Nutrition more beneficial than prescription...
lisamerryy
Abtronic.... and the verdict on this is?
I just saw this on TV. Any feedback on this? Saw the...
TinaNY
Sponsored Products
Avery Neoclassical Outdoor Sofa - WHITE/BLACK
$2,100.00 | Horchow
Audrey Tufted Conversation Settee - PEARL
$3,699.00 | Horchow
Elkton City Mailbox
Fifthroom.com
Bamboo Viscose Bi-Color Throw
Grandin Road
Fortune Polished Nickel One-Light Wall Sconce with Opal Etched Glass Drum Shades
$88.65 | Bellacor
Williamsburg Polished Brass 12 Light Chandelier
$599.90 | Bellacor
Sportsman Series Commercial Grade Meat Grinder
Beyond Stores
Tough-1 Blanket Storage Bag - 61-9995-10-0
$26.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™