Do you have a basket or remotes or do you have a universal one?

tobr24uDecember 11, 2007

I have a full basket and, after cleaning them, was wondering if one universal would be easier. Though running several remotes is not that difficult, I am always looking for ways to simplify my life. So, any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
regus_patoff

Instead of a basket, we have a nice wooden cigar box that we keep most of the remotes in (laying on their edges). Find a box that your remotes will fit in on their edges. We use the "universal" one that comes with the cable box. That works for most of the commands we use. There are a few special commands we use seldomly, in which case we use the originals in the cigar box.

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 12:03PM
albert_135

I never found a "universal" that was indeed universal so I have a basket of universals in the closet.

Bookmark   December 11, 2007 at 1:58PM
mellbee

I'm wondering if there is such thing as a 'Universal' remote. It's bee my experience that with all of the components to a home theater system (TV, receiver, DVD player, VCR, & amp to name a few) one remote NEVER seems to work for all things. Usually one remote can be rogrammed for mostthings but the original remote is still necessary.

I really like regus patoff's idea of using a cigar box. I would not have though of this. I think I'm gonna give it a try.

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 4:46PM
dadoes

Basket. Or rather, coffee table.

Bookmark   December 13, 2007 at 9:34PM
tobr24u

Hmmm. So I will have to buy another basket for my universals...lol!

Bookmark   December 15, 2007 at 9:19AM
davidandkasie

my wife got me the best Christmas present ever last year, a Logitec Harmony remote. you program it thru your PC. enter your model number of each device in the program, it retrieves the codes and dumps them to your remote. you even tell it what devices to turn on for what activity. it is truly the only remote i have ever seen that does all functions of the originals.

i included a link below. mine took the place of 12 remotes. i even have read of people using them to control lighting and gas fireplaces, though i don't. the only drawback is that you must be connected to the internet to program it, and i only have dial up at home so it can sometimes take a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: pricey but worth it!

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Best and thinnest flat screen wall mountable tv less than 20" high?
I am so out of my depth here. I would greatly appreciate...
bellsmom
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
home stero using XM radio
i am building our retirement home and have installed...
coetexas
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™