security measures for outdoor cabana tv & electronics

angeldogDecember 3, 2008

We have an outdoor cabana by our pool that has an inset for a flat screen tv above the fireplace (gas logs). There is a built in cabinet on same wall that house the supporting components. Can anyone suggest "layers" of security to prevent theft.

This question also posted on Home Entertaining and Pools & Spas (wanted to cover all bases)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Looks like the pool and spa posters have given you some good ideas.

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 6:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harry_wild

My friend has had a 30" Sony Wega Flat Screen CRT TV for 12 years now and leaves it unlocked in his pool area. I would suggest find the same TV or similar type on Craigslist or through a friend or acquaintance for "free". Currently, electronics stores and disposal sites charge around $20 to $150 to take it off ones hands. Plus, they weigh enough that they cannot go more then a 30 feet without having to put it down.

Just "do not by the HDTV model TV" and you will not have to worry about "anyone stealing your TV". Have your electronics be the analog AV type receivers. They are out of favor like the CRT TVs and are safe to have them outside. They too weight around 35-45 pounds and will not be carried away without having two or more people. There is no market for analog like there is no market for CRT.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
tulips33
Need a new Tv, thoughts on led/plasma
Im in the market to get a new tv. I have always preferred...
aellis722
Philips/Magnavox Tv Problems ?
To get assistance on Philips/Magnavox TV: Post the...
pee_wee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™