Heart rate monitors - wrist watch type

donnak_ncFebruary 20, 2004

Hello! First time here!

I did a search but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. I just started on a treadmill this week and would like to keep my pulse in a target range while exercising. I am seeing a lot of these that look like a watch and you put two fingers on the metal contacts for a reading. They are ranging from $50 to $100.

Does anyone know if they are accurate? Like plus or minus how many beats per minute? I wouldn't mind forking out the cash if they are fairly accurate. They sure would be convenient.

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg7777

I'm looking for the same thing but haven't made a decision yet. If you want reviews from people who actually have purchsed and used them, try epinions.com (Click under "Home", then "Wellness & Beauty", then "Heart Rate Monitors". Hope it helps!

Bookmark   March 6, 2004 at 9:58AM
Aesop

I have a MIO Shape, which I like very much. It's a strapless heart monitor, and is quite accurate. However, there are times when it is difficult to get a reading -- primarily when your heart beat is bouncing around, or if your hands are very cold. Still, I like the fact that I can also get a more accurate read on the number of calories burned while doing an exercise (which, unfortunately, is way lower than what the machines say since I'm a small female). It's my regular day-to-day watch, and sometimes I take my pulse just for the heck of it. Since I started exercising, my baseline pulse has decreased :-).

Bookmark   March 7, 2004 at 10:41AM
donnak_nc

Thanks, Aesop, that is what I am looking for, strapless.

This seems to be a good forum; too bad not many know about it. :(

Bookmark   March 7, 2004 at 10:51AM
marie26

Since it's been 3 years since the last post, I was hoping that someone could tell me if there is a new version of a wrist watch that has a heart rate function as well as a pedometer function. Thank you for any information you can give me as well as any sites that give reviews on this item.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 3:45PM
devorah

I looked for a wrist watch around Christmas and everywhere I went the salespeople told me they were crap. I did order a very nice wrist blood pressure monitor from Costco that also measured pulse, but while it was a very nice unit, I took it back because it couldn't be worn during exercise and I already have a good one for when I am still.

My exercise cycle gives me a reading on my pulse and so do several of the machines where I work out. I make sure that I am on one of those machines at least every 5 minutes while I am exercising. I have a lot of trouble with an overly rapid heartbeat, so it is very important to me. I try to keep myself under 85% of maximum heart rate, but it is hard. I would love to have something I could wear easily all the time. I wound up in the ER not long ago and it was very expensive. If I'd had a monitor I would have known to quit before the chest pains started.

Bookmark   February 26, 2007 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
anti-aging
hello, looking for anti-aging products. Ideas?
tiggervan
How to exercise with broken foot?
I came back from a wonderful trip. I had been in pretty...
linnea56
patellofemoral syndrome, knee pain questions
Does anyone here have patellofemoral syndrome, which...
bug_girl
The food Villains! -- please join in
I'm not exactly sure when it all started, but it seems...
celestial
I want to start doing Yoga, is this something would I be able to
Hello Friends, I would like to start doing yoga, but...
Orneved
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™