Heart Rate

judith_sydneyFebruary 18, 2006

Using the exercise bike and elliptical in the gym, I can log in my age, weight etc, to determine what heart rate I should be working at.

The only catch is that the machines are constantly telling me to slow down to reduce my heart rate.

If you are working at a cardio zone, can you still burn fat, even though at the cardio rate you are at a higher heart rate?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah

I am a little confused by your question.

This is my understanding of how things work: When you are working in the cardio zone for you - after about half an hour - you will have used up the sugar that is immediately available for fuel in your blood and then you will start to burn fat

I think you should pay attention to the machine provided you think it is reasonably accurate. As you become more fit, the intensity of your workout will increase because your heartbeat will slow down. I absolutely use my pulse rate as the measure for going at things too hard or too soft. It is the only measure that is unique to me.

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 11:23AM
judith_sydney

Thanks Devorah. I think I understand what you mean by the heart rate. All of this is new to me....so I'm kind of winging it as I go. Started spin classes, and my legs are hurting a lot more than when I do the normal cardio machines at the gym....think there is some truth to no pain no gain.....

Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 3:43AM
don_na_na

Judith--I know this post is a few months old--but I wondered how you are progressing.

I also use my pulse rate as a measure. According to what I've read, if you get above your cardio zone, you will be burning muscle instead of fat. And as Devorah says "As you become more fit, the intensity of your workout will increase because your heartbeat will slow down."

I purchased one of the heart rate monitor/wrist watchs. While wearing this on the elliptical or treadmill at the gym-it reads my HR constantly (on the machine and on the watch) without my having to keep putting my hands on the HR monitor on the machine. The wrist unit beeps if I get above my zone. This is very helpful and more comfortable than having to keep putting my hands on the bars.

Bookmark   December 9, 2006 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Abtronic.... and the verdict on this is?
I just saw this on TV. Any feedback on this? Saw the...
TinaNY
Is riding a Bike really good excercise?
I know that riding a bike is good for your legs but...
netshound
Is it okay to drink coffee while on green juice fast?
Planning to do this green juice fast,veggie juicing...
starraffy
patellofemoral syndrome, knee pain questions
Does anyone here have patellofemoral syndrome, which...
bug_girl
What happened to white corn meal?
I love home made southern style corn bread, made with...
donk4kyv
Sponsored Products
Stone Hook
Grandin Road
Cathy's Concepts Good Morning Coffee Mugs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Scion Avocado 8' x 11' Contemporary
Home Depot
Cattelan Italia | Tech Drive Extension Table
YLiving.com
WAC Modern Forms | Fusion 3-Light Bath Light
$329.00 | YLighting
George Kovacs 18 1/4" Wide Chrome LED Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™