Ice skating for weight loss

eggshellfinishJanuary 9, 2013

Does anyone here ice skate for exercise? I don't necessarily mean speed skating or formal figure skating, but plain old open-skating-at-the-neighborhood-ice-arena skating. Do you find that it helps you lose weight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

Any activity you do is better than sitting in front of TV or the computer. Whether it helps you lose weight probably depends on how long you skate, how vigorously you skate, and how you are eating. You can make small changes in your diet and along with added exercise, you can lose. Slow steady weight loss is the best because you adapt to a new way of eating and you begin to enjoy walking, skating or whatever exercise you choose. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 11:52PM
worriedone

I try but I like doing the fresstyle sessions not the public skate. I try to hire a coach for a private lesson *once in a while - so I can learn how to skate backwards.

It is great cardio if you can get the speed up. Keep upper body straight, core control. Arms extended. Knees slightly bent and toes pointed forward. You lean too much in front and you will end up on toe picks. Lean back and you can fall.

The edges should really grip the ice, be sure your blades are sharpened to your level - pond skater or if you are in a class. They may seem sticky at first, tho.

Use blade guards when off the ice.

Be sure that inside edge really grips the ice before PUSH and hold leg out. It is lots of fun!!!

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 12:04PM
sandy2_gw

I recently retired and my husband and I have gotten back to ice skating. Love it - we do go to adult sessions and one is even free not far from us on a Friday morning. If they do not have recorded music I suggest an mp3 player (example) with a head phone w/ music you can get a good hard skate. It is wonderful exercise and we love the adult sessions. Unfortunately there are not too many of them around compared to 30 years ago when they were all around us and we would go twice a week with so much fun with the huge crowd. Give it a try if you live in the Cleveland/Medina County of Ohio I can let you know where to go. Hope that helps - right now at 65 years of age we look forward to your ice skating sessions and the people. have fun!

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 8:31AM
ella.fisher

Ice skating can help you to replace fat with muscles. This is even easier if you are doing figure skating, which will need you to use lots of muscles. As with any type of exercise, you should do some stretching before skating. This will warm your body up and minimize the risks of pulling or straining your muscles.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Which brand of canned pineapple has least tin-can-taste?
To me there's a very strong tin can odor in canned...
jally
patellofemoral syndrome, knee pain questions
Does anyone here have patellofemoral syndrome, which...
bug_girl
How much iron supplement?
I see a slow release iron 45mg -- one a day -- take...
chisue
I want to start doing Yoga, is this something would I be able to
Hello Friends, I would like to start doing yoga, but...
Orneved
The food Villains! -- please join in
I'm not exactly sure when it all started, but it seems...
celestial
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Catalina 34 in. Outdoor White Table Lamp with Basil
Home Depot
Arctic Ice 6-light Satin Nickel Chandelier
Overstock.com
Apollo Wicker Beverage Caddy - 235974
$151.82 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Style Wooden Floor Lamp in Balance Shape
ParrotUncle
Dusty Blue Rolled Arm Bench
$299.99 | zulily
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Mojavi Thin Weave 34 in. Ou
Home Depot
Burger Press
$5.95 | FRONTGATE
Sonoma Lenox Tan Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$279.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™