Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

annie1992January 29, 2013

As you might remember, Beachlily has very generously shared her Meyer lemons with me. The Monkey Princess has used her share making lemonade, but graciously allowed me to have one cup of the lemon juice for a new recipe, a Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake.

The recipe is long and involved, but not really difficult, although you need a double boiler, a springform pan and a cake pan, along with the usualy equipment. I dirtied lots of dishes, and this was the end result:

Yes, that's a bite taken out of that piece. So, arrest me, I just couldn't help myself, LOL.

The end result is delicious. The genoise was light and fluffy, the ginger syrup was just the right amount of spicy and the mousse was tangy and not too sweet. Fresh ginger, fresh Meyer lemons, real whipped cream. Somehow it tasted lighter than it actually was, LOL.

I'll include the link for the recipe, it's a blog called "Sweet Dreams". I think someone posted it here, so whoever that was, thank you. And an extra thank you to beachlily, who provided me with the fresh lemons to make this amazing dessert!

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_t

Oh MY, That looks wonderful. The mousse looks so light and creamy. I like the idea of fresh ginger with the lemon. Great flavour combination.

Ann

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 11:48PM
pat_t

I, too, like the idea of combining fresh ginger with the lemon. And since I have THIRTY NINE cups of lemon juice in the freezer, I need to make this! Thanks Annie!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 5:51AM
caliloo

That looks (and sounds) wonderful!

Alexa

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 7:03AM
whgille

Annie, that mousse cake looks so good! Another great recipe from you.

Silvia

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 7:50AM
janet_ks

Please excuse me while I wipe the drool from my chin -- would love to have a slice right now for breakfast!!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 9:17AM
rob333

Um yea! That is one fantastic looking cake. I'll be right over. I WISH!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 10:00AM
sally2_gw

Oh, my. Oooh, ahhhh, Words fail me, that looks and sounds so good.

Sally

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 10:04AM
mabeldingeldine_gw

Yes, please!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 1:15PM
solsthumper

Annie, I could eat that.

But I would've started on the opposite side, where the mousse starts and the cake follows. Rapture.

Sol

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 2:49PM
momj47

And you did this with ONE ARM??

That looks amazing. Enjoy.

I hear Meyer lemon juice has bone healing properties!!

It's also good for scurvy.

This post was edited by momj47 on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 16:32

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 4:30PM
dcarch7

Amazing cake!

I am for sure going to buy a Meyer Lemon tree to grow my own.

dcarch

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 7:41PM
annie1992

I love lemons of all types but I really like the Meyer lemons the best, even if I don't think I'm in danger of scurvy, LOL.

See, I TOLD you it wasn't that hard, I did it one handed! No, actually, Elery helped.

dcarch, let me know if you actually grow a Meyer lemon tree. I keep trying to figure out what I'd have to do to make one grow in Michigan but so far it's involved greenhouses or separate sunrooms!

Sol, the ginger made a nice contrast to the lemon, or I'd have just eaten the mousse out of the bowl! I'm kind of wondering now how that same recipe would be with orange. Or lime.....

Annie

Annie

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 10:55PM
centralcacyclist

That looks luscious. I will have to ask my friend for Meyer lemons.

Eileen

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 11:41PM
jkom51

If you want to grow Meyers in a container, check out meyermike's posts on the Citrus forum. He is the most successful container gardener for Meyers by far, and very generous and helpful with his advice.

I thank Annie for posting the link to the dessert blog. I have several friends who will enjoy reading it.

This is one of our best years for Meyers. I have three of them in the ground, and will probably get 50-80 lbs. from each tree just from the winter harvest. They're mature trees now, so I usually have at least a dozen or more Meyers all year long. My friends and family get a lot of lemons to use up!

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 11:43PM
coconut_nj

Omg Annie, that looks so good. One armed, eh? I shouldn't have showed it to Christy. Lemon is her fave and she just bought me a bag of Meyer lemons. LOL. And here I've been moan jobbing about my measly carpal tunnel. I'm kind of thinking of just making the mousse though...hmmm... I could probably deal with that.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 11:47PM
dcarch7

"----dcarch, let me know if you actually grow a Meyer lemon tree. I keep trying to figure out what I'd have to do to make one grow in Michigan but so far it's involved greenhouses or separate sunrooms! ---"

You may consider growing Yuzu orange. It can survive very cold weather. Another great citrus tree for cooking. Lars mentioned Four Winds, mine just arrived.

A japanese store here sells fresh Yuzu oranges, $2.75 each, golf ball size!

dcarch

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:29AM
doucanoe

Annie ,that looks delicious! I've been craving lemon lately and had to "settle" for lemon curd bars from the lemon curd I made last week.

Looks like I'll be buying another bag of Meyer's! Definitely going to try that cake!

I have been thinking of trying a potted lemon tree, too. Thanks for the direction to the citrus forum, jkom! And I am going to research that Yuzu orange too, thanks DC!

Linda

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:45AM
sally2_gw

I'm guessing that all this means that it's lemon, or at least Meyer Lemon season right now?

I want to grow a meyer lemon, too. I'll just have to wait till we move to Tahlequah and have a greenhouse. I don't have room in my currant house for any more plants to bring inside for the winter.

Jkom, thanks for the reference to the citrus forum. I keep forgetting about going to other forums. I lurk at one or two other forums, but there are so many forums to visit.

Sally

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:46AM
moosemac

Yum! Annie thank you for the recipe. DH loves lemon cake in fact our wedding cake was lemon. I'll be making this for him for Valentines Day.

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 8:48AM
riverrat1

Another here that will be making this cake very soon. Looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe and the few extra pounds I'll be gaining. ;-)

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:34AM
foodonastump

Looking at the picture and reading the description, I immediately thought, "I've gotta make this!"

Looking at the recipe I immediately thought, "Yeah right, I'll never do all this!"

Oh well, I'll just have to imagine how great it was!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:42AM
annie1992

FOAS, the cake was a little "fussy" but soooo worth it. It's actually one cake layer, one simple syrup with some sliced ginger added, and then the mousse. I broke it down and made the cake, while it was cooling I made the syrup which took only a few minutes. After everything was cool and all my equipment assembled, then I made the mousse, which was also astonishing easy with the help of the Kitchen Aid.

Remember, I did it with one arm in a sling, it really IS easy. The only problem I had was that Elery had to separate the eggs....

RR, I don't even want to THINK about the calories.

Anyone who is hesitating because of the length of the recipe, don't let that stop you. The cake could even be made the day before, the mousse the next morning and the whole shebang would be ready to eat by afternoon!

Annie

Annie

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:55AM
annie1992

FOAS, the cake was a little "fussy" but soooo worth it. It's actually one cake layer, one simple syrup with some sliced ginger added, and then the mousse. I broke it down and made the cake, while it was cooling I made the syrup which took only a few minutes. After everything was cool and all my equipment assembled, then I made the mousse, which was also astonishing easy with the help of the Kitchen Aid.

Remember, I did it with one arm in a sling, it really IS easy. The only problem I had was that Elery had to separate the eggs....

RR, I don't even want to THINK about the calories.

Anyone who is hesitating because of the length of the recipe, don't let that stop you. The cake could even be made the day before, the mousse the next morning and the whole shebang would be ready to eat by afternoon!

Annie

Annie

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 10:56AM
malna

I'm so jealous - my Meyer lemons look like this. My office smells really good though!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 6:44PM
beachlily z9a

Annie, my anniversary is Feb 8. I'm making this because my kitchen will be demolished on March 1 to be totally updated about 2 weeks later. That's going to be a tough 2 weeks--I cook! I'll have the microwave (like I know what to do with that!), a rice cooker and the grill. Oh, the coffee pot will work and the fridge will be working too. I'm going to get a dishpan so we can wash pots, but we'll use paper plates and plastic for eating. I'm so not looking forward to this, but the end result should be beautiful!

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:18PM
annie1992

Beachlily, I'm excited to see your new kitchen, I can't wait to see that new countertop installed!

This cake would be a great use of that lemon juice in the freezer. Oh, and happy birthday to the hubs!

Good luck with the rice cooker/microwave/grill kitchen. (grin)

Annie

Bookmark   January 31, 2013 at 9:47PM
ntt_hou

Annie, that looks so tempting. I have plenty of meyer lemons juice in the freezer. I'm going to keep the recipe to make one as soon as I have a little time.

Malna, I can smell the blossoms!

Dcarch, if you plan to grow Meyer lemon tree, buy the dwarf kind. My neighbor has 2 trees on the ground and they're about 6-7 feet tall. It's easier to pick the fruits when they're short. When they're in season, I pick from her trees, juice them and freeze the juice to use it year round.

I have 2 growing in containers but they're not doing too well. Part of the reason is I haven't really taking care of them as I should. I really should put them in the ground and allow them to grow freely as they should.

Due to its low acidity level, Meyer lemons is the only lime/lemon that I can consume without getting an upset stomach. Ever since I found out about Meyer lemons, I've been able to enjoy lemonade and anything that calls out for lemons/lime. It's a wonderful fruit.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 2:37AM
sally2_gw

Okay, I just bought some yesterday from Central Market. They are quite soft. I hope that's not a bad thing. They don't look wrinkled. I'm going to try this cake this weekend.

Annie, it's your fault (tongue firmly planted in cheek) that I'm sabotaging Jerry's diet. I can't help myself. He shouldn't go on a diet in the winter time, when it's cool enough to bake.

Sallyu

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:21AM
Rusty

That cake looks delicious! !
I can almost imagine how delicious and refreshing
It would be on a hot summer day.

Ever since I first read about Meyer lemons on this forum,
I have watched the stores here for them.
No luck at all.

Yesterday I was in the store,
They had "Texas Valley Lemons",
which are pretty common around here this time of year.
I've never bought any, Because they never look very good.
BUT! ! !
Lo and behold!
In small letters,
Under the name "Valley Lemons" it said "Meyer Lemons".
I've never seen that before!

They really don't look very good,
But they are shaped like those in the pictures
Ya'll post here.
I bought a couple to try,
(Hopefully today.)
In the Lemon blueberry muffin recipe
Annie posted a few days ago.

I'm definitely saving this cake recipe to try later on!

Rusty

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 11:03AM
dcarch7

ntt_hou "---Dcarch, if you plan to grow Meyer lemon tree, buy the dwarf kind. --- "

I will be buying grafted dwarf kind for a container so that I can bring it inside in the winter.

Interesting that people are selling Meyer lemon seeds on eBay $1 to $2 each seed and pople are buying them. If Meyer lemon is a hybrid, the seeds may not come true.

BTW, to you all:

When I use Meyer Lemon, often I don't zest. I simply remote the seeds and put the whole lemon in the blender. Seems to work very well.

dcarch

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 5:02PM
KatieC

That is gorgeous, and I just picked up a box of Meyer lemons from Costco. Was thinking preserved lemons, but I think I could spare a couple for this. Thanks.

jkom51, thanks...I'll check the citrus forum. I've been thinking I need a Meyer lemon tree, but not sure what to get, or if my greenhouse/porch has the right conditions.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:04PM
mabeldingeldine_gw

double thanks from me jkom51, I'll be looking for meyermike since I've killed 2 Meyer lemons so far am am planning on giving a third a try when the weather warms up enough to order one.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 9:23PM
ntt_hou

I too found some Meyer lemons sold at our local Walmart. Their price was $1.50/lb. bag. There were 4 lemons in a bag.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 6:38PM
sally2_gw

Oh, bummer, I just printed out the recipe and read it carefully, noticed it calls for gelatin. I don't do gelatin. Is there a way around this? Maybe use whipped egg whites instead? It uses lots of egg yolks. Any ideas?

Sally

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:10PM
dcarch7

Sally, use agar agar. It's a vegetable gelatin.

dcarch

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:27PM
nancylouise_gw

Mmmm, I love lemon anything, Lemon cake is my favorite. It looks scrumptious and I bet tastes as great as it looks! NancyLouise

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:12PM
sally2_gw

Great, Dcarch. I didn't know that. Thanks!

Sally

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:12AM
More Discussions
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
Cheddar Cheese Bread
Cheddar Cheese Bread This was a 750g batch - two loaves. Normally...
ann_t
Feta, please explain
Last week, DH and I were in New Orleans. We ate at...
bbstx
How Do You Cook Brown Rice?
Having just turned 52, it is no longer possible to...
johnliu_gw
Boneless Chuck Roast as a stand in for a brisket?
Normally I'd be cooking a brisket for Passover, so...
lowspark
Sponsored Products
Paula Deen 2 Quart Stainless Steel Tea Kettle - 56657
$29.99 | Hayneedle
BonJour Dinnerware Fruitful Nectar 4 Piece Soup / Pasta Bowl Set - 55587
$24.95 | Hayneedle
'Dream Big' Fort Meyers Wall Art
$24.99 | zulily
Paula Deen Down Home Sideboard with Baskets - Molasses - 193679
Hayneedle
Paula Deen Home Mikes Dining Side Chair - Tobacco - Set of 2 - UNIR1319
$600.00 | Hayneedle
Paula Deen Down Home The Hostess Credenza - Molasses - 193675
Hayneedle
Paula Deen Home Mikes Ladder Back Dining Arm Chair - Linen - Set of 2 - UNIR1340
$670.00 | Hayneedle
Steven N. Meyers 'Calla Leaves Set' Framed Art Print
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™