How do I figure out calories for a recipe?

weedwomanJanuary 10, 2004

How do I figure out how many calories are in a recipe I make from a cookbook, if they don't list it? Is it as simple as figuring out the calories in each ingredient and adding it up? Are there any web sites that do this?

WW

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joann23456

It's that simple. You add everything up, then divide by the number of servings. All you need is a book or site listing calories plus a calculator.

Bookmark   January 10, 2004 at 7:54PM
noodlesportland

i always write it next to the recipe so i do not have to do it twice. have ones that i figured out 15 years ago!

Bookmark   January 12, 2004 at 3:06AM
weedwoman

I figured that was how it was done, but things frequently aren't as simple as they seem like they ought to be!

Hm, this might be an interesting problem for my rudimentary computer programming skills. Seems like you could make a little calculator that would know the calories and add it all up for you... I'll bet there's one out there somewhere.

Thanks.

WW

Bookmark   January 14, 2004 at 11:54AM
Meghane

I use MasterCook and it does the work for me. There are other cooking programs that also can figure the calories (plus amounts of carbs, fiber, fat, cholestrol, protein and more). It isn't a perfect system though- it just adds the nutrition information for each ingredient. So if you fry something in a cup of oil, it will calculate the nutrition information based on a cup of oil, even though you don't actually eat it all. But it does give you a good idea on what you are eating. Best thing about MasterCook is that you can make menues and see your daily totals without a heck of a lot of work. I'm all for the quick and easy way! I don't think MasterCook is still being produced, but you can find other programs like it and they aren't too expensive. Many also come with tons of recipes, plus you can add your own.

Bookmark   January 27, 2004 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
What happened to white corn meal?
I love home made southern style corn bread, made with...
donk4kyv
Is riding a Bike really good excercise?
I know that riding a bike is good for your legs but...
netshound
patellofemoral syndrome, knee pain questions
Does anyone here have patellofemoral syndrome, which...
bug_girl
Total Gym, workouts for weight loss
Hi I am a 52 yr.old (overweight)male who has a total...
popellis
Any exercise equipment good for home ?
Hey Everyone, I am new to this forum and wanted some...
ashleymore
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Designers Choice Collection Contour 52 in. Satin Nickel Cei
Home Depot
TOTO Nexus(R) Hand Shower Set
Modern Bathroom
Global Views Finding Balance Wall Art - 8.8118
$222.50 | Hayneedle
Swanky Sofa in Raspberry
$849.99 | Dot & Bo
Anjou Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
simplehuman 48-liter Butterfly Sensor Can
Overstock.com
Cooper Classics Sashi 14 1/2" Round Wall Mirror Set of 2
$98.00 | Lamps Plus
Avant Eco Venetian Bronze Energy Star EcoMotor 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Dark Oak
$598.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™