pellet boiler questions

KateB22December 4, 2013

I am having a new home built and am deciding what type of heating system I want. I am inetersted in the kedel pellet boiler. Anyone used pellet boilers? ( different than a pellet sotve in that it works like an oil boiler but is run by pellets)
My main concern is that it is much more expensive than an oil boiler. I hear the pellets are cheaper than oil- is this true and if so is it in a significant way? please share any experieces with pellet boilers and especially kedel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GHGmill

The projected savings of using pellets depends on your location and the projected efficiency of the boiler.

Efficiency gets measured in comparative terms of British Thermal Units.

How many BTU do the wood pellets create versus how many BTU would the oil create?

What is the current cost of the pellets and what is the current cost of home heating oil in your area.

Local big box retailers, for example, might sell a ton of wood pellets for less than $250.

Home heating oil can sell for anywhere from $3 to $4 depending on the location and time of year.

Comparing the fuel costs per average year will also help you determine how long it might take to recoup any extra cost associated with a pellet boiler versus oil burner.

In some circumstances, pellets are considerably less expensive to use than oil. Just depends

Here is a link that might be useful: http://greenhomeandgarden.net

Bookmark   February 2, 2014 at 3:00AM
More Discussions
Anyone get SRECs for their solar panels
We've had solar panels installed and working for 3...
Annie Deighnaugh
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
if you must use solar, consider this option
first of all, for renewable energy i much prefer the...
animus_divinus
Best Hot Water Tank to go with Solar
My parents have a big house with a solar hot water...
edlincoln
Seeking Feedback on Bright Home Solutions in NYC Area
if any of you have used Bright Home Solutions based...
dreamojean
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™