Do you tip an entertaier? If so, how much?

scarlett2001March 10, 2014

DH is having a "BIG" birthday and I'm giving a dinner in his honor at a restaurant. I have engaged a stand up comic who will do his act for an hour for $200. Do I tip him and if so, how much?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linda

Does he work for himself or a company that provides entertainment? Self-employed/owners of a business are not tipped. If he works as an employee a tip would be appreciated but not necessary. In my area, 20% is considered a good tip for this kind of work.

Linda

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 2:32AM
gellchom

I agree, tip if it's an employee. But I probably wouldn't do 20% for this. I would probably do an extra $20. It's not like a waitress whose base pay is much lower because it is understood that tips will make up a significant part of her pay. This is really just a true "tip," a little extra thank you if they do a good job.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:10PM
writersblock

>Self-employed/owners of a business are not tipped

Well, now, I was a musician for many years, and musicians, while they are self-employed, certainly appreciate a tip, if it is offered. I would imagine any other entertainer would appreciate one, too.

However, we're not like your waiter who needs tip money to live. To us a tip is a welcome sort of extra thank you, and if you decide to give a tip the dollar amount is entirely up to you. I've received tips ranging from $20 to $500. They're all gratefully received, but we don't go around saying, "That lousy so-and-so didn't even tip me" if we don't get one.

One thing--never give the tip to the agency if you hired through one. The performer will never see it. If you decide to tip a performer, tip him personally that day.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:23PM
scarlett2001

Thank you!

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
guests who just won't leave
I couldn't find a thread on this topic, so here goes... I...
swampwitch
What would you do?
The setting: Ladies gathered for coffee and chatting......
kitykat
Awkward Baby Shower - Did I Handle It Correctly?
We've all experienced strange party situations, but...
Karen10125
Worst visit ever
A friend and I were going out today, we live in different...
BGOS
Going to dinner as a guest tonight
My husband asked our host and his latest girlfriend...
ilovepink
Sponsored Products
Aubergine Purple 50 x 120-Inch Blackout Curtain Pair 2 Panel
$108.95 | Bellacor
Arrock Arc GU10 Outdoor Bollard by SLV
$578.00 | Lumens
Chintaly Francesca Memory Return 26 in. Swivel Counter Stool - Autumn Rust Multi
$246.62 | Hayneedle
Polystone 15-inch Tall Elephant
Overstock.com
Hoop Skirt Pendant in Black - Large
$279.99 | Dot & Bo
Illumine Lamps Designer 21.75 in. Blue Desk Lamp CLI-LS440079
$90.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™