Graduation luncheon--tips needed

Laurel7286February 15, 2006

I am planning a luncheon right after Son's ceremony, which lasts from about 10am-noon. Invited are 8 of S best friends, plus all of their parents, out of town guests. We may have a few extra here & there, total maybe 80 tops. This will be outside, with tents etc.

This is NOT a teenagers only drop-by event.

First, I need tips from anyone who has pulled off this scale event. I have served 100, but only in an open house sort of thing where everyone did not arrive at once.

Second, anyone have advice about combining some catering with some self-catering? What are the hardest parts to do by yourself?

Finally, anyone have favorite recipes for make & freeze that will be appropriate?

All ideas welcome--many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

I have served 80 quite a few times in my home without catering.
For 10 years I had a New Years brunch for 70 to 85 people. I made ahead and froze rolls and cookie bars a baked han and egg casserole anda fruit dish....either a fresh fruit bown or a hot baked fruit casserole.
I have served a hot BBQ turkey for sandwiches on home made buns....with sides of cole slaw and a mastaciolli salad.
I made a hot turkey dish with sweet and sout sauce and pineapple chunks and a marinated pasta and veggie salad....lots of veggies in that salad....with an assortment of nome made rolls and muffins.
Another party I did oven baked chicken....you know the recipe....rolled in cornflakes. I had 2 friends help on that one. I had 2 ovens full or cooking chicken, and as soon as I put one batch on the table, I refilled the ovens, got done just in time for seconds. I served that with potato salad, cole slaw and those home made rolls again. Dessert was bought angelfood cakes, cut into 3 horizontal slices, layered with custard and sliced strawberries, wrapped and refrigerated over night.
Another time I served a wild rice and ground beef casserole as the main dish.....can't remember what else.
If any of this interests you, say so and I will dig out quantities and recipes.
Linda C

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 11:25AM
lowspark

What are the hardest parts to do by yourself?

Keep the food flowing.

I had a couple of parties for ~100 people in my home. Once it was just a regular party - everyone invited to arrive at the same time, the second time it was an open house.

Both times, the most difficult thing was to keep the food table replenished as people ate. Since then, at catered receptions, I've always noticed that it takes about three (ore more) workers to keep serving tables replenished. It's a big job.

So my biggest complaint was that I spent too much time doing that, which took away from my time to socialize with the guests. Thank goodness my MIL helped a great deal with that, which allowed me to relax a little!

You might consider hiring helpers for this purpose, just so that you'll have the opportunity to enjoy your party!

Bookmark   February 16, 2006 at 5:06PM
socks

I second what lowspark said, recruit some helpers. They could be at the house doing the last-minute getting ready things while you are enjoying the ceremony. You'll enjoy the party much more, as you should. It sounds like a wonderful event.

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
Preparing Roasted Chicken Beforehand
Hi! I have been reading posts from here for a while,...
Bev.Linda
Starting a no shoes rule
I live in New York City and am about to move into a...
jadend
Two sides to every RSVP
Deleted This post was edited by Jewel654 on Sun, Dec...
jewelisfabulous
Gift for 80th. Birthday
We're invited to a restaurant for an 80th birthday...
suvgal
Adult party games wanted
Anyone know of games to play at adult only parties?...
good36
Sponsored Products
WAC Modern Forms | Blade 11in Wall Light
$139.00 | YLighting
Discus Ceiling Fan by Monte Carlo Fans
$188.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Mid-Century Triple Gourd Ceramic Table Lamp in Black, Set of 2
ModernistLighting.com
Tag Bubble Glass Double Old Fashioned Glasses - Set of 6 - 555168
$51.00 | Hayneedle
Thalassa Beaded Pillow - SILVER
$215.00 | Horchow
Bed Side Lamps: 28.5 in. Neville Polished Chrome Table Lamp GT701162
Home Depot
Silver Finish Four Glass Ball Decorative Base Home Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Safavieh Jayne Three Sphere Glass 1-light Navy Table Lamps (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™