Can one play wii games on any old TV with a place for input.

albert_135November 25, 2008

We noticed that we imagined that wii (All play on sounds deliberate.) billiards (and bowling and golf) games looked better on a big old relatively more square TV than on a newer relatively more rectangular screen.

So the question came up, as people switch to digital, should someone want to sell a big old TV could any be used for wii games if it has the proper input holes?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wws944

Sure. The Wii comes with composite video and l/r audio connections. So any TV with those connections would work.

Quality-wise, using the composite video depends on the quality of the 'comb filter' in the display. Look for a TV that has a 'digital 3D' comb filter. It is likely that your older TV has a better comb filter than your newer TV. (Or possibly you need to enable the comb filter via a menu option?)

The wii supports s-video. So if your set has s-video connections, the comb filter is bypassed by purchasing a new cable set. S-video cables for the wii cost almost nothing on ebay.

On my 10 year old Panasonic TV, which has both a 3D comb filter for composite video, along with S-video inputs, there is little to no difference in picture quality between comb-filtered composite and s-video. Turn the comb filter off, and there are very noticable differences between composite and s-video.

However, does your newer TV have 'component video' (separate red/green/blue) connections? If so, it is very worthwhile to buy a set of component video cables for it. Again, you can get them on ebay for next to nothing. And if the newer set supports High Definition, the component cables allow the use of 480p progressive scan. (Be sure to select it in the setup menu.) This is the best you can do with the wii.

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Lost sound on my computer.
Once again I need your help. I have been persuaded...
ronalawn82
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
Philips/Magnavox Tv Problems ?
To get assistance on Philips/Magnavox TV: Post the...
pee_wee
Sponsored Products
Red Pink Green Flowers Antique Tiffany Art Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Homelegance Sanibel 3 Drawer TV Chest in White
Beyond Stores
Sonax Atlantic 40-inch Midnight Black TV Stand with Glass Shelves
Overstock.com
Upton Home Hepburn Brown Media Console/ Stand Electric Fireplace
Overstock.com
Red Lotus Grid Tiffany Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle