Sam, I am Speechless

demifloydFebruary 12, 2009

I just opened an invitation to a baby shower.

It is very cute, a Dr. Seuss Theme.

The reply card, with Cat and the Hat graphics, reads:

I could, I would attend___

I could not, would not attend___

I could not, would not send a gift___

I could, I would send a gift___

I'm okay with the first two. The last two references to gifts just leave me speechless. So I wonder how many people they think will actually check No. 3--I will not attend and I won't send a gift.

Never mind that I probably would have attended the shower for a very nice neighbor (it's a second child and I usually don't attend second showers) or delivered a gift, as I did for the first shower that I was unable to attend. And most likely I will send a small gift for the second child.

But you can bet I will not attend this shower and I'm even considering not returning the reply card. I think I will call the hostesses so that they can fully explain to me their concern with gifts.

Have you ever seen such?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gellchom

I have the same reaction. The Dr. Seuss theme is cute, the rhyming reply card is clever -- and the last two lines are unacceptable.

But I would not (or should that be, "would not, could not"?):
-- decide whether or not to attend based on the hostesses' bad taste, thereby punishing the guest of honor for their lapse
-- call the hostesses and ask for an explanation for their wording, much less for "their concern with gifts." (Isn't the whole point of a shower gifts?)

I might feel different if the lapse were something really awful -- like a bigoted theme, or something illegal. But this is only bad taste, not meanness, cruelty, or crime. Maybe they were trying to go for 4 lines to be more like Dr. Seuss or something, or they just didn't know better. Hey, at least they included the choice of not sending a gift!

I would just let the invitation go without comment, and attend or not as you would otherwise. But I certainly agree with you that it's a pity they messed up such a cute idea that way.

Is it a book shower? That would be a terrific idea, especially for a second child. In fact, it would even allow guests to buy one gift for both children -- let the big sibling open it; the baby won't care.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 4:38PM
mitchdesj

I would answer 1 or 2 , and ignore the rest. Or put a question mark for 3 and 4.

Bookmark   February 17, 2009 at 6:35AM
party_music50

"unacceptable" is a nice way to put it. :) Is the idea so that they'll know to watch for package deliveries?! I would check both 1 and 3. lol! (j/k)

Actually, I would spend the time to come up with a similar 'cat in the hat' response that let them know how "unacceptable" the invitation is -- but then I wouldn't send it. :)

I'm seeing here that it's a new trend to have a baby shower with each pregnancy. Prior to this, I've only heard of two "extenuating circumstances" where there was a 2nd shower: in the first case, the (accidental) mother-to-be was over 40 years old and it had been more than 15 years since she had had a child. That made perfect sense to me. In the second case, it was my cousin's wife who had learned that she was FINALLY going to have a girl (she already had 4 or 5 boys at that point and was pushing 40 herself). Only family members were invited and we all happily attended.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 6:27AM
More Discussions
Mosquito problem
Our house is on 7 wooded acres; the mosquito problem...
cheerful1_gw
Starting a no shoes rule
I live in New York City and am about to move into a...
jadend
Centerpiece advice - White hybrid LA lilies
reposted in the Home Decorating Forum Here is a link...
bbstx
Worst visit ever
A friend and I were going out today, we live in different...
BGOS
Two sides to every RSVP
Deleted This post was edited by Jewel654 on Sun, Dec...
jewelisfabulous
Sponsored Products
Brown Light LED Desk Lamp with Bluetooth Technology
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
VP Home I-Cubes Lime Storage Baskets (Pack of 3)
Overstock.com
Aquatic Bathtubs Hialeah I 5 ft. Center Drain Whirlpool Bath Tub with Heater in
Home Depot
LZF | I-Club Large Wall or Ceiling Light
YLighting
Maxim Comet 38" Wide Chrome and Crystal Island Light
Lamps Plus
New Shirvan Collection Ivory Kazak Runner 2x6 Hand Knotted Narrow Wool Rug H3726
BH Sun Inc
Barboy
Design Within Reach
Glass Note ENERGY STAR 23" Wide Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™