window tint

EaglesInFloridaDecember 25, 2004

We will be moving into a south facing house in florida that has single glazed windows. I want to keep as much heat outside. Does anyone have a recomendation re the type of window tint to use to accomplish this? Thanks, in advance, for your help

Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crackedearth

when we lived in our 50+ aged shotgun in new orleans, we got that GILA window film. you buy an 'installation kit' that included: a wipe pad to clean the windows (but we had so many i used newspaper), the spray that you use to clean and apply film (we used 2 bottles for 5 wide windows), a squeegie, a plastic corner doohicky (an aide in trimming), and an exacto to cut the film. you cut the film to approximate size (you buy the film in a box of roll, different sizes), clean window, spray the fluid back on, peel backing off film, apply to window, spray more fluid over film, squeegie film on, then trim excess. i did manage to do a lot by myself, but it may go easier if it is a two person job, especially for larger windows. it seemed to help a good 5 degrees or more! good luck!

Bookmark   January 2, 2005 at 12:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pawprint1

I used the GILA tint on every window in the house. I don't have any developed trees around to block the heat from entering. I have noticed a huge difference already.

The only mistake I made was starting downstairs first. As I got better after each window, so I should have started with the windows that aren't seen much.

Live and learn! But I love it and it makes the house look sharp and energy efficient.

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 7:45AM
More Discussions
Looking for feedback on geothermal!
Hello there! I am quite new on the Forum, and a newbie...
Tinuvielle
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
Geothermal in south bay area
I am wondering if anybody has feedback on geothermal...
CAHome
Evaluating a building site for solar?
We are considering purchasing some land, contingent...
honeyb2
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™