Tv prices

joe_mnNovember 22, 2011

I notice the 32"size LCD is the new loss leader. Most stores have several $200 models. I need a 26" unit for my kitchen corner and am bummed to see the avg price seems to be $300. It's easy to find a $100 19" unit but that's too small. 20 yrs ago a 27" CRT cost $300. How can a 32" LCD cost less now? Wages and materials cost more now? Life is funny.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

The 32" size is economical since it fits into into one of the previous standards used by many of the glass panel manufactures - kind of like cutting a sheet of plywood into equal pieces with no waste. So the actual television manufactures can get them at a good price.

I did see that Costco is currently advertising a 24" 1080p Hannspree television under $200.

Happy Shopping!

Bookmark   November 22, 2011 at 10:05PM
joe_mn

Yay I don't need anything. I do want one though. Yes, lots of 22-24" sets for ok prices. Really want a 26".

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 2:06PM
ellie45

"I did see that Costco is currently advertising a 24" 1080p Hannspree television under $200."

yosemitebill, this television brand gets rave reviews without a doubt. Never heard of it until you posted.

Thanks, ellie

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 11:35PM
yosemitebill

Thanks Ellie,

Yeah, Hannspree is little known, but I have worked with them over the the past few years and they seem to be OK.

It's amazing how few television manufactures there are that build the televisions sold by the television brands - and then quite a few of them are only a brand name owned by an investment company.

I wish sometimes I wasn't so involved in the design and engineering side of consumer electronics - I enjoyed the innocence of thinking Zenith was an American manufacturer in Chicago, and not just a name bought by LG in Korea!

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 7:20PM
joe_mn

Target had a 24" sceptre for 170 online. Tried to order it using iPad and it would not go thru. Ordered it using notebook and it accepted order. Odd?

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™