Help me find the right receiver!! Please!

saramae585November 2, 2008

So, I'd like to get my husband a new receiver as a gift. I talked to the guy at Best Buy and he suggested the Harman Kardon AVR-254. Does anyone have an opinion before I spend $500?

This is for our bonus room where we have surround sound speakers.

TIA!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

Harmon Kardon receivers have enjoyed a good reputation for a long time. I haven't seen this particular receiver, but I've no doubt it will serve you well.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 2:31AM
tobr24u

I have an Onkyo in that price range that has also had good reviews in Sound and Vision magazine. But in reading magazines like this, you probably can't go wrong with any receiever in this price range...

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 10:25AM
lovinghusband

It's impossible to answer that question without more information. You mentioned 'surround sound speakers', 5.1, 6.1, 7.1? Speaker size/impedance? What other components will be connected to the receiver? Do you need/want HDMI switching? Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD Master Audio decoding?

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 11:12AM
albert_135

Personally -- this may just be me -- I don't like others purchasing things for me that I am expected to enjoy unless I have approved the purchase or have return privileges. (The Spouse bought me a birthday dinner a restaurant recently. She handed me the menu and asked me to make the selection.)

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™