DIY Spray Foam

mav3481December 9, 2010

I did a search and didn't come up with anything...so here it goes.

I've got a 1 story ranch with a full basement that so far gets awfully chilly in the kitchen (furthest from furnace). I was looking at ways to try to better insulate everything, especially the overhang over the edge of the foundation.

I would *love* to have someone come in and spray foam it all to provide a vapor barrier along this entire edge of the house. I figure that I'd want to start in the kitchen first since it is furthest away and could use all the help I can get. I was looking into DIY Spray Foam and I was wondering if anyone had done it themselves.

It doesn't seem terribly difficult, you just have to be careful to be safe. Does anyone have any comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chillcox

I'd suggest getting a quote. The DIY kits that I looked at cost the same as having someone come out and do it. It'll be messy, and I was happy to have someone else doing it.

Bookmark   December 16, 2010 at 4:23PM
jaysgarden

Mav...let me know what you decide. I've also looked at DIY spray foam kits but wonder if they work as well as the videos on the seller's web site portrays.

I can see spending $600 for the kit and having the spray gun always clogging up.

I'm having a local company here in Cleveland, OH come out and give me an estimate on spray foaming my rim joist cavities.

Bookmark   December 29, 2010 at 12:04PM
countryboymo

I used 2" XPS and cut the pieces a little smaller and then foamed them in place with cans of foam. It was time consuming but it did work out really well and made a huge difference.

Bookmark   December 30, 2010 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
Energy usage has increased since net metering installed
My electricity energy usage had never exceeded 700kw...
dawnedell
solar tube skylight
Does anyone out there have a solar tube sky light and/or...
ryanaidan
Geothermal $6K per ton?
In my ongoing quest into the geothermal world, this...
cs6000
Solar Panel on Shed, Standalone?
I have a small shed, like 10' x 12'. It is about 30'...
redsun9
Ideas on how to capture gray water runoff from A/C?
The pipe that comes out of our crawl space which empties...
momfromthenorth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™