Pellet furnace

curious_galNovember 7, 2005

I'm looking for anyone who has info on pellet furnaces. Has anyone installed a pellet furnace as an add on to an existing furnace. We're building a house and considering a Harman pf100 pellet furnace.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misoilman

We built a house in 2004. Last winter I bought a corn burner (very similar to a pellete stove). It hooks directly into the hot air run for the existing ductwork. I am very happy with it so far. It has a blower that moves air through the ductwork just as good as the gas furnace.

Many of the stoves do not have the option of hooking into your ductwork, so look around befor buying.

Bookmark   November 8, 2005 at 7:51AM
puzzlefan

the first consideration should be the availability of fuel. RIght now in our area, pellet fuel has gone over 5.00 per bag which makes it far too costly for us to use. Our stove will need to sit this year out except for very cold periods. We were able to buy a 1/2 ton earlier in the year from Home Depot at a reasonable price but those days are gone. Gas is now cheaper to use for heat.

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 6:47PM
joyfulguy

I don't like forcing myself to buy fuel from a restricted source ...

... where the producers/suppliers have the option of sticking me with a much higher price, later on.

Which is why I prefer to let the cartel that runs world grain, and have proved themselves very successful at paying the farmers peanuts for their grains, and that over the long term, to ensure that I'll be able to buy fuel for low prices for the foreseeable future.

You'll note that I didn't use the term, "reasonable", which one often uses when referring to "low" in terms of price. "Reasonable" has nothing to do with it.

Have a warm winter, everyone.

ole joyful

Bookmark   December 1, 2005 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Enviro M55 cast iron free standing pellet stove
Anyone have any feedback on the newer units that have...
bksinaz
Geothermal $6K per ton?
In my ongoing quest into the geothermal world, this...
cs6000
Geo in old brick home
Background: we put in geo last year and love it. 2100...
thesilverback
Can solatubes go horizontal?
We just redid I our house and I am depressed at how...
newhome123
solar pods?? is it worth it?
first that I remember saw mentioned in "Farm Show"...
jeanwedding
Sponsored Products
Flavorwood Multi-flavor Grilling Smoke (Pack of 6)
Overstock.com
Fireplace Vacuum Cleaner
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Popcorn & Pumpkin Vegetable Growing Tray Set
$11.99 | zulily
Bumat Elite Filament
$38.00 | FRONTGATE
Tomato & Bell Pepper Vegetable Growing Tray Set
$11.99 | zulily
Gold Medal Medium Microfiber Suede Bean Bag
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™